31. Cute Guy at the Chapel

Seren P.O.V.

There aren't many churches in Nosa, but the citizens are friendly and happily give me directions. After a few blocks, I come upon a chapel that has likely been here for ages. The brick building rests on a street corner. Once dark bricks have faded to a light gray, although the windows remain vibrant, casting varying shades of white, gold, and blue across the sidewalk. Figures of the Holy Mothers greet visitors at the doors with open arms, guiding faithful into the safety of the chapel.

I first pray at the steps, apologizing to the Mothers for not coming sooner and hoping they understand my absence was for a good reason. Inside the chapel, a few faithful stand in front of the altars gifting the mothers soil from their crops, water from the streams, or cherished items from loved ones passed on. Lit candles line the walls. They cast vibrant light across the walls that shimmer like glass.

I wish I could have come during one of the sermons, but that's what Lore and the others would expect. If I always disappear for sermons, they'll know exactly when to get themselves into trouble without me being any the wiser. So apologizing to the Mothers once more, I eventually make my way to the front of the chapel where a priest in blue robes smiles kindly at a young girl. She shakes his hand with tears in her eyes, then walks away smiling. The priest's gaze lands on me. His eyes widen, as does his grin.

"Paladin of the Holy Church, may the Mothers smile upon you," he says, rushing over while bowing his head politely. "Welcome to our humble chapel. I am Priest Niel. How may I be of service?"

"May the Mothers smile upon you as well, Priest Niel." I bow my head, then offer up my letter that Priest Niel gently takes. "I need to have this sent to Trinia Cathedral with haste. I'll be coming here to do this again as well. I've got a local job to do that the church needs to be updated about regularly."

"A local job? It's nothing to worry about, is it?" Priest Niel asks quietly. He glances among the faithful in concern.

"I assure you it's nothing to worry about." Seeing as, if Lore is the killer, he isn't likely to kill anyone going to church. The rich and powerful rarely believe in a power higher than their own.

"That's relieving to hear, more so that someone like you is here. I haven't met a paladin since my training days at the capital," Priest Niel chuckles, then something catches his attention. He gestures to our right. "Speaking of training, Jakoby, come here for a moment. There's someone you should meet."

Jakoby, a man likely a few years younger than me, stands tall at the mention of his name. He carries a small basket of offerings left for the church. Curls of red hair drift over pale green eyes that leave me a little breathless. He scurries over to us, almost fumbling on a pew that has Priest Niel whimpering like he expected Jakoby to do much worse. Once Jakoby stands in front of us, he looks at Priest Niel, glances shyly at me, which is painstakingly adorable, then lowers his head.

"Jakoby here will be leaving in a few weeks to start his training at Trinia to become a priest, hopefully to take over after I'm gone. Jakoby, this is--" Priest Niel looks apologetically at me. "Oh, I can't believe I didn't ask your name."

"Seren," I reply, noticing how Jakoby won't stop glancing at me. His freckles stand out even more when he blushes. It's ridiculously endearing.

"Seren, Paladin of the Holy Church," Priest Niel finishes just as someone calls for him from the entrance. A family has stepped into the church, waving and smiling enthusiastically. Priest Niel rests a gentle hand on my arm. "My apologies, I have a few appointments today. I will ensure your letter reaches Trinia as soon as possible and, please, visit us whenever you have the time."

I thank the priest for his hospitality. He walks away to attend to the family, leaving Jakoby and I. When I happen to catch his eye, Jakoby sputters, "H-Have you ever... been to Nosa before this?"