23. Have Some Fun

Jaryl and a few officers continue compiling a suspect list while Lore and I decide to check in at Confident Cases again. If the culprit is there, our appearance a second time may rile them up. Although I don't know if I'm very intimidating right now since I really need a nap. Draven waits in the car while Lore and I head up the elevator to the offices.

"Your Grace!" Marieh calls from the front desk that's overcome with more papers than our last visit. Hopefully, for Marieh's sake, Ikehn is searching for a new secretary. "Are you here with an update about Ayden?"

"Unfortunately, no. We're still investigating and would like to have a few words with everyone again with Mr. Bellvitz' permission, of course," Lore responds.

Did he mention Ikehn first on purpose so we can go straight to him? He's one of our prime suspects now that we're considering people who had power over Ayden. Marieh guides us back to Ikehn's office. He's finishing up some paperwork when we take a seat on the couch. He pushes aside the papers moments later, then takes a seat across from us.

"How is the investigation going, Your Grace?" Ikehn asks. He crosses his legs and rests his clasped hands over his knees.

"We're still thoroughly investigating those on the list you were so gracious to give us as well as a few others we've determined on our own. However, we'd like to ask some follow up questions to you and your workers, if you wouldn't mind."

Ikehn may maintain a calm expression, but he repeatedly checks his watch. "Of course, Your Grace, however, I must admit that my staff and I are very busy. Many of our clients aren't the best at waiting either so I will do what I can, but should an issue with my clients arise, I will have to step out for a moment."

"We completely understand and are very appreciative that you're giving your time to us. We'll try our best not to cause any issues," Lore says, then goes into a line of questioning that I don't find particularly important. However, the more Lore speaks, the more I notice Ikehn checking his watch again.

"I'm sorry that I don't have the information you seek," Ikehn says at the end of Lore's questioning. He still offers his hand for Lore to shake. "If you need to speak to me again, please call first to request an appointment."

"We'll make sure to do that." Lore grins, then heads for the door.

"He seemed impatient," I say once we're out of hearing range. "Although, that may actually have to do with us barging in twice without an appointment."

"Perhaps, or he's feeling cornered."

"You're leaning towards it being Ikehn then?"

Lore tilts his head curiously. "Aren't you?"

"Not like we have many others to choose from," I admit solemnly. I never met Ayden, but the more time that passes the more I feel like we've failed him by not catching his killer yet.

Interviewing the rest at Confident Cases proves insignificant. There's one guy who spilled tea all over himself and almost did the same to me, but we couldn't imagine someone that nervous could perform a murder. We're sent back to the precinct where Jaryl provides us with further bad news.

"We inspected Mr. Bellvitz's bank records, but there's nothing pointing to suspicious activity," he claims while handing over said record.

"What about the others on our list? You find anything suspicious?" I ask, earning myself a low sigh from Jaryl.

"A lot of suspicions. Too many to count. Most of these folk are still causing trouble, but I don't know about murder. I've already sent some men to look into them."

Humming, Lore returns the records to Jaryl.

"Thanks for all your hard work, Officer Jaryl. Let us know if you find anything new or need our assistance," Lore says while rising from his chair. I look frantically between him and Jaryl, confused by his sudden departure, but stumble after him anyway.

"We're just leaving when there's plenty more suspects to question?" I ask, sliding into the car after Lore. Draven hops into the driver's seat and pulls out into the street.

"Jaryl can handle them," Lore claims.

"But it'd be faster if we help."

"We are helping."

"By leaving?"

"Mhm."

He's making no sense. I don't even know what to ask to make him make sense. Lore's a walking conundrum, a puzzle that thinks it's complete although it's missing a dozen pieces. My confusion amplifies when Draven takes a different route than the usual. We're heading further away from the manor and the city. The streets become wider, houses smaller, and yards bigger.

"Where are we going?" I ask, staring curiously at Lore's devious grin.

"Take a guess," he says, sounding like a child playing a new game. "Come on, guess."

"A hospital to get your head checked?"

Lore snorts. "I suppose your feeble little mind wouldn't be able to determine our destination even if it tried."

"My feeb--" my words are cut short by Lore's sudden intrusion of my personal space. The handle of the car presses deeply into my spine in my desperate attempt to escape Lore's enticing gaze. He hovers over me, one hand behind my back against the door and the other resting on the seat to keep him steady. Loose strands of his long hair brush against my face, as does his every word.

"If we cannot find answers in Ikehn's bank account, where else would they be?" he asks like he expects me to be able to answer, but I'm too busy trying to decide where to look. His skin is fair and smooth. Hair softer than silk. Lips... very, very close.

"His... home?" I finally answer, then miraculously manage to glare. "You want to break into his house, don't you?"

"Very good," he whispers, somehow getting closer. "There's nothing more telling than one's home. What he has and what he hides, we'll find it."

"That's illegal, even for you."

"Are you going to stop me, Paladin? Will you send word to the church of my evil deeds or..." Lore practically presses his cheek against mine to whisper, "Are you going to have some fun with me?"

Then he clicks the handle of the door and I fumble out of the car.

"You rat bastard!" I holler, hopping to my feet in a moment of fear because I thought I was going to bust my head open. But apparently, Draven stopped the car in the forest at some point.

"So dramatic, you're fine," Lore teases, snickering while following me out of the vehicle. He dusts me off like some sort of househusband, which he would be terrible at for numerous reasons. Too many to count, actually!

I shove him away.

"If you're going to get in the way, stay here and watch the car," Lore adds. "Or you can come with me and break the law, your choice."

"I'd rather not do either," I grumble, but reluctantly follow after Lore and Draven. Who knows what they'll get up to on their own.

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶༒˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -

Hey guys, I'm sorry the Story Branch didn't update yesterday. I'm not really sure what went wrong. I'll try to see when/if Wattpad will launch it and let you know. And over the next few days (maybe even now,) there should be some reactions you can purchase specific to this story. Check those out and see if you like them! :)

Anywho, Lore and Seren's interactions are so fun to write lol Seren's a mess and Lore knows how to be a flirtatious bastard. What do you think about their plans of breaking and entering? Do you think Ikehn behind Ayden's murder?

 What do you think about their plans of breaking and entering? Do you think Ikehn behind Ayden's murder?