14. Being a Father

We survive the drive to a local street that Lore describes as being the perfect spot to shop for the children. I find that to be true when I get out and see that both sides of the streets are made up of candy shops and toy stores. They stand multiple stories high. Long windows line the exterior, showing off the gems inside. Life-like teddy bears adorned by silk ribbons sit in windows and train sets the entire length of a first floor riding across the ceilings. I know without stepping inside that this is all very much out of my price range. The entire side of town is likely out of my price range.

"Your Grace," I call to which Lore circles the vehicle to stand beside me. I offer up a smile that feels more like a grimace. "Are there any cheaper establishments?"

Lore has proven once more that he is an excellent noble because he does seriously piss me off without much effort.

"My apologies, Seren, I thought the Holy Church would pay their paladins better. How unfortunate that you aren't appreciated as much as you should be," he gasps like he has stumbled across something terrifying. He might do exactly that after I cut off all that long hair of his and toss it in the sewer!!

"Unfortunately, my children have become rather spoiled and likely won't react well to a cheaper gift," he gives a bullshit lie. There were plenty of toys at the house that were likely grabbed at a small market stand simply because it was cute.

"Let me assist you in earning the children's affections again. I will happily cover whatever you cannot," he adds around a beaming smile that makes me want to slap it off his stupid face. That stupid face continues to grin when walking confidently to the nearest toy store.

"Your Grace, welcome!" A woman calls from the counter. She rushes over with the enthused steps of someone who knows they're about to get a lot of money. "What can we help you with today?"

"Oh, I'm just looking for a few things for the kids," Lore replies. The woman, likely the owner, glances at me. Her eyes widen in surprise. I suppose that's not a strange response. I doubt Lore has walked around with members of the Holy Church before. Unless their head happened to be on the end of a pike.

"Well, if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask," the woman says, then glances at me again prior to walking away.

What? Does she think I'm going to try and steal something!? Honestly, I would have to in a place like this because the smallest teddy bear I pick up costs more than what I have. What is this thing made out of? Pure silk with golden threads and sapphire eyes?! Is that even child safe? Leave it to a child of nobility to choke to death on a sapphire.

"Getting a present for only one of the kids is probably not the best idea, is it?" I ask, continuing to pick up toys to inspect the very large price tags. If Lore buys things like this regularly, he truly is loaded. That makes me hate him more. Who needs or deserves that kind of money? I'll let it slide since he clearly spends a lot on the children, but his definitely overflowing bank accounts still pisses me off.

"Maybe we should head over to a candy store so I can get a bag that they can share," I suggest.

"Sure, we can do that, but since we're here--" Lore eagerly points at a few toys for the workers to grab and wrap. "We might as well purchase a few things. Oh, Oliver would like that!"

Lore hurries over to the other side of the store and I awkwardly follow. This place terrifies me. I'm worried I'll trip on something, break it, and owe them my life.

Lore proceeds to easily procure toys for the children, all the while explaining which toy is for who and why. Oliver apparently sleeps on a bed of stuffed animals and wishes to add more to his already endless collection. Ashby likes picture books, specifically those about plants. Ashley wants and needs toys that are not easily destroyed, often preferring toy swords and shields. Nalo likes music and has a collection of music boxes that he sometimes uses as a small orchestra. Hyun Woo would draw all day if he could, so art supplies it is. Reegan loves space and science, similar to Cyan, so Lore claims he's their future trouble maker. Isabella has recently become interested in making clothes and Darika just wants new clothes.