54. Provocative Smiles

Seren P.O.V.

I barely got a wink of sleep after sharing a room with Lore. He's always annoying, but last night I also feared he'd be deadly. Either by physically stabbing me or metaphorically stabbing me because, damn it all, he's hot when he sleeps too. And I'm a fucking creepy for noticing it.

At breakfast, we take our seats where I first notice Cyan. Deep bags sag beneath his eyes and those eyes glare at me.

"Good morning everyone," Lore says, directing his attention towards Cyan, who stabs his breakfast sandwich with a fork.

"What are you doing?" Draven whispers.

Cyan, without missing a beat, takes a bite of that sandwich still impaled by his fork like that's a normal way to eat sandwiches. He speaks between bites, "Mornin'." And never replies to Draven.

Lore eats like nothing is wrong. Draven and I share concerned passing glances, then equally surprised scoffs that we dared to share the same feeling even for a second.

"How did everyone sleep?" Lore asks as if one hasn't already answered that with a mere glance.

"More than fine, Your Grace. The beds were very comfortable," Draven answers.

Nodding, Lore continues eating. I'm struggling to do so because Cyan won't stop staring at me. He's about to burn a hole through my skull! Could it be that he didn't sleep well knowing Lore and I shared a room? Cyan continues to distrust me. Perhaps he worried that I would try to harm Lore. If that's the case, we can't continue like this. Cyan should share the room with Lore instead!

...purely because of that, not because I actually rather share a room with Draven because there is no temptation.

When breakfast ends, Lore insists on seeing more of the ship. We'll be passing the countryside and, apparently, we can get a beautiful view from one of the terraces. He begins to guide us there when I tap Cyan's shoulder.

"What?" Cyan barks around a yawn.

"I understand why you had a rough night," I say, causing Cyan to curl his nose. "I want you to know that the rooms were not my idea. I rather not share a room with His Grace either so, if it would make you more comfortable, I am more than happy to switch rooms."

Cyan stares at me for a long moment, then guffaws and walks away.

Is that a yes or a no?

We reach the desired terrace. As Lore expressed, the view is incredible. The clouds hover above us as the land passes below. Square fields patch the ground to appear as a giant, green quilt. Cyan presses his nose to the glass. Draven takes firm hold of the collar of his shirt to prevent him from ramming his head against the glass when the airship jostles.

"Lord Seymour!" A woman suddenly calls, turning all our attention to her. She shuffles over wearing an exuberant yellow dress that dances around her feet.

"Miss Harmony," Lore says, immediately taking her hand to kiss.

I'm mildly surprised Miss Harmony giggles. She's mortal, but apparently doesn't dislike the attention of a dhampir.

"It has been some time since I've seen you. You're more beautiful than last we met," Lore adds, donning a provocative grin.

I--he--I'm right here! I mean, we're right here.

Miss Harmony giggles, obviously delighted by his compliment. "And you're as charming as ever. Time never changes you a bit."

"Even if it did, I would still always appreciate your pretty face."