104. The Beginning of the End

Seren POV

I didn't think I'd be back in Trinia so soon, unless it was in handcuffs or a coffin.

Lore stands beside me in the darkened alley, dressed in plain clothes. I overheard him grumbling about the lackluster attire. Even when our lives are on the line, he wants to dress to impress. Can't say I understand because I find him impressive no matter what he wears. Maybe I should say that to ease the tension, my own to be perfectly fair. I feel the stiffness in my limbs. My eyes shift, incapable of focusing.

"Seren," Lore calls.

"Hmm?"

He rests a hand on the small of my back. There isn't so much as a tremble, reminding me that committing a crime is something Lore is accustomed to.

"Take a breath. This will work," he says.

"I thought this day would be easier," I whisper. He rests his head against my temple and says no more.

Neither of us expected to be here, risking our lives together. I do think I'd be less nervous if Lore weren't here, if there wasn't a possibility that I'll witness his demise or his mine. We both have always known our deaths are a possibility. They were meant to be a possibility we never saw in person.

"How are things going on your end, Ristain?" I ask through the walkie talkie. My palms have started to sweat as I've watched the clock on a nearby belltower.

The walkie talkie buzzes, then Ristain replies, "Almost ready."

Two words make my breath shake. Lore notices. He grasps my waist, bringing me in to rest his forehead against mine. I don't know how I ignored this need to be near him for so long. Now I can't imagine resisting this urge to have his hand in mine, to press our lips together in a soft kiss. Then Lore kisses me passionately until I have to push away for a breath.

"In case this plan goes awry," he says, making me shake my head. He doesn't allow me to speak, pressing a finger against my lips to silence me. "There is a chance that it will, so I... there's something you must hear."

"Everyone is in position," Ristain says over the walkie talkie.

I reach for it only for Lore to grab my wrist. He brings my hand to his lips where he whispers, "Please listen."

"Tell me later."

Lore's furrowed brow and pained scowl makes my heart skip. I think I know what he wants to say, the same thing I want to say, but I don't want it to be now. Not like this.

"Tell me after," I insist, sounding desperate.

"After."

Before Ristain becomes concerned, I retreat from Lore to speak into the walkie talkie, "Alright. Lore and I will be on radio silence now. We're heading for Trinia."

We stash the device behind a dumpster. I double check that Lore has Cyan's freakish tracking device undetectable by magic. How? Well, he got his hands on a few items from Vexsis that he did not share until now. Sometimes that boy worries me. Once we're prepared, we head towards Trinia hand in hand. There's a chance they'll fire at us on sight, though we're hopeful that the Prophet will want to speak. That she's curious about where Ebony's documents are, what we plan to do with them, and if she can get any truths out of us. The church is cocky, understandably so. They've gotten away with more than we'll ever know for centuries. Why would they fear us? And that's what we're banking on.

Holy knights guard the gates. The moment one notices me, she alerts the others. Shouts grow louder as dozens of knights march atop the walls. Shimmering white or silver light overtake their fists, each prepared to strike. Lore and I raise our hands in surrender, though it doesn't deter their concerned expressions.