Chapter 12

W I N T E R

I put my earphones on as soon as classes ended, blasting Taylor Swift's Fearless (Taylor's Version) Album. It's what I play whenever I am not in the mood to talk with anyone. I couldn't tell you why, but listening to Taylor always made me better. I walked around, finding a good place to sit and clear my head. There are a lot of places to hang out at SM-U, but a lot of people occupied them. An idea popped into my mind, which I knew wasn't ideal. I thought about going off-campus. But my mind is telling me to stay inside the old music room. Heaving a sigh, I decided to go there instead. 

I entered the room and got greeted with the feeling of emptiness. I'm supposed to be used to this feeling. Because before Karina and I met here, it was just me and the room. For days, I'd come here and hope she'd come around. Maybe then she'll tell me what happened that day. But she never did. Then I saw her in the parking lot. I thought it was my chance to talk to her until he came. The image of her with him gives me an uneasy feeling. 

It's funny how the more I spent my time with Karina, the more addicted I became to wanting to be close to her. The idea of her making me feel safe has never felt this good. But now she is becoming distant. 

I let my fingers run through the piano keys, my hands dancing among the ivory keys creating harmony. I imagine myself playing the piano with you beside me. While I am playing, out of the corner of my eye, I see the twinkle in yours. 

~~~

I left the music room when it was starting to get dark. I was about to open my car door when someone tugged on my arm. Panic rushed into my system at the sudden action but soon calmed down when it was Aeri and the others. 

"Are you planning to give me a heart attack?" I groaned.

Aeri could only smile, "Sorry, I thought I couldn't make it to you," 

I sigh and raised my eyebrow at them all together. "What's going on?" 

"Ning and the others invited us to hang out tonight, we're wondering if you'd tag along?" Lia answers. I look at the others who were giving me hopeful eyes. 

"Sure, why not?" I say and they start celebrating. "We'll tell you the place, get us there," Ryujin says before getting inside my car. 

I scoff, "Will I always be the driver here?" 

"Sadly, yes," Aeri pats me on the shoulder before getting inside the car. 

~~~

We stopped at a restaurant recommended by Ning and as we went inside, we were immediately greeted by them. Ning stands up and hugs me. 

"Sorry for inviting you last minute, it just happened." 

"It's fine, unplanned hangouts are much better."

We all sat down after the greetings. Ning has already ordered the food with the help of the girls. While we were waiting, I noticed that Karina wasn't there. I sighed and just sat there, listening to whoever was talking. I was kinda expecting her to be here.