Chapter 18

K A R I N A

We never think much about memories until something is over. Was this the price I had to pay? As I skip a beat, I feel my head spinning and my legs numb. I don't want this; why do they always think I enjoy these? My silent screams are all I can hear in my ears; my mouth speaks while my insides holler. My words and thoughts get pushed down by my worst fears.

All of this doesn't seem fair when I see people around me. My parents continue to ask me why I feel I feel the way I feel. I don't think they will understand how much I want to be free. Free from all these feelings that feel so fake.

"Jimin, where have you been? I've been looking for you," I hear my uncle's voice and see him walking toward me. Seeing him with different people in the business world gives me an unsettling feeling. My family got invited to a business gathering which was why I was also here.

"Come here," He ordered, and I went to his side. "This is my niece, Jimin Yoo, the future heiress of Yoo Industries. Jimin, these are my partners meet..." He goes on, but my mind is somewhere else. I didn't want to be here. How many more older men and women do I have to meet? I'm tired. Mentally and physically. I want to go home.

"This gentleman right here, the future heir of Choi Holdings, Choi Soobin, will be our Jimin's future husband," I stood there stunned at Uncle's sudden revelation. Soobin? My future husband? I was never informed about this. Moreover, I did not want to marry him. I understand that people are rooting for us, but we didn't work out.

I glanced at Soobin standing beside me, smiling proudly at them. I scoffed because he was enjoying the attention.

"I can't wait for their marriage, be sure to invite me." One man told my uncle, and the people in the circle agreed. Then they started discussing further how Soobin and I would become the most powerful couple knowing that Yoo Industries and Choi Holdings are about to merge once we marry.

"Married? Who's getting married?" A familiar voice interrupts, and I feel my body jolt. I look to see my father with a raised eyebrow, waiting for someone to answer his question.

"We're looking forward to Soobin tying the knot with your daughter,"

My father looks at me with a surprised face. "Soobin's marrying you?" His voice was soft, but before I could give him a reply, Soobin beat me to it.

"I want to marry her Mr, Yoo. " He smiles and holds my arm, which I harshly move away.

I sigh before answering. "No one is marrying, father. If you'll excuse me, I need to leave." I walk away, ignoring my uncle's calls.

Everything was overwhelming me. I needed to get out of here. I dialed Minjeong's number and what surprised me was how fast she answered the call.

"Hello?"

"M-Min?"

I could hear her shifting when I called. "Are you okay?" Worry was evident in her voice.

I grip my phone tighter when she asks that. "I need you... please." A second later, I hear keys and the door opening.

"Where are you?"

"At home, get me out of here, please."

While waiting for Minjeong, I decided to go to my room and change my dress to comfortable clothes. I removed my makeup and went outside to wait for her.

I hugged my shivering body as Minjeong's flannel kept me warm. I couldn't wait to see her again. I needed to get out of here. Away from my uncle and away from everyone in this household.

"Jimin!" I sighed when I heard Soobin's voice.

"What do you want?" I asked, not turning to face him, and kept looking for Minjeong's car in case she was there.

"Why did you leave? Everyone's looking for us,"

"Didn't I say that I needed to leave already? You're only looking for me because everyone isn't going to talk to you without me by your side," He glares at me.

"And marriage? seriously?" I scoff, remembering what he said a while ago.

"Why do you think I want to have you back? I wasn't lying when I told them I'd want to marry you," He firmly states.

"Because of the company... you only want to marry me because of the god-forsaking company. How could I have been so blind? Ning was right. I only accepted you because you were the only one who made me feel what I thought was love."

"Until Minjeong came and proved me wrong that I could love someone so much more other than you." My heart was beating so loud as I said those words. The warm and calm feeling whenever I mention her name.

"I'm saying this now with finality. I'm breaking up with you."

I tried to walk away from him but to my dismay. He stopped me by grabbing my arm.

"What are you doing? Let go of me!"

"Let me-"

"Let her go," A voice that I've been waiting to hear interrupts us.

"What are you doing here?" Soobin unconsciously untightens his grip on my arm, giving me the chance to pull away.

"I'm taking her home,"

"You stay away from her!" Soobin angrily grits through his teeth, pulling Minjeong by the collar.

"You don't deserve her," He added, making Minjeong scowl at his weak threat.

"Like you can do any better?" She laughs as if it was the joke of the century. "Tell me, Do you know what she dreams about; Do you know what she listens to when she's alone? The food she craves? Her favorite perfume? What drives her wild? What makes her laugh? I hope you do because that's what loving her is all about and so much more." Despite her slim frame, she pushed Soobin rather harshly for him to let her go.

"If you don't know. Don't even think about lying just for you to give me an answer. All those years, yet you couldn't even give Jimin the happiness she deserves."

My heart is beating so fast right now. Was it because of what Minjeong said? Or because these two were almost causing a scene? Minjeong then holds my hand and guides our way out.

"Are you alright? Did he do anything to you?" Worry was visible in her tone when she asked me that.

"I'm fine. You arrived in time," I reply. Minjeong calms down a little at that. I squeeze my hold on her hand.

She was about to let go when I tightened. She looks at me, confusion written all over her face. 

"Don't." I only say, and she doesn't question further and drives. 

=====

Hi?