𝐍𝐨 𝐖𝐚𝐲

I could almost feel my anxiety return as Ward stood in front of us. Sure, I missed him, but I didn't miss all of the shit that he did. The thought that he'd be able to hurt more people made me sick to my stomach.

"Look, I know this is impossible to you, and I'm gonna explain-"

Our father was cut off by a slap to the face, delivered by Sarah.

He sighed. "You're right. I'm sorry. I deserve that,"

"Yeah, you fucking do," I scoffed, glaring at him.

"I know. You girls have been through hell, and that is my fault. And I'm sorry. I'm so-"

He grabbed my hand but I yanked away and led Sarah back over to the couch, both of us taking a seat.

"I'm so sorry, girls. I can promise you that I didn't have any other choice. I didn't," Ward muttered.  "I don't expect you to understand that now. All I can do is tell you what happened and answer your questions. Maybe you'll see it was the only way,"

"I know you don't believe that, and I know it's hard to hear, but it was my only choice. It was the only way to make sure that we were all safe and we were all together. It was the only way to be a family again," He continued.

I shook my head, shooting my father a glare. "You're insane. How could you do that to us?! To Wheezie?!"

"You say you care about us, but your actions convey the exact opposite!" I cried.

"Azzy, baby-"

"You call me Azzy one more fucking time," I seethed.

He took a breath. "I love you girls so damn much. I understand everything that I've put you through, but you've gotta understand that I never stopped caring about you,"

Sarah choked back a sob. "Could you at least have enough decency to explain?!"

Our father stepped closer, taking a seat across from us. "I used the scuba gear on the Druthers. I had it all set up in advance and timed it to the second. It was touch and go getting off,"

He chuckled. "I almost didn't make it,"

"Why the fuck are you laughing?!" I asked as a new set of tears fell.

Ward shook his head. "I'm sorry,"

Sarah glared at him.

"I'm sorry, okay?" He repeated.

I took a breath to speak but stopped when Rafe walked through the door.

"Fuck off!" I yelled upon noticing my brother.

He just rolled his eyes and stepped further into the room.

"Girls, what I need you to understand more than anything is that I never imagined that you would be there," Ward continued. "I wanted to call you immediately to tell you that I was okay, to explain it all. It broke my heart that I couldn't, but, I had to make sure Rafe got away,"

"Thank you, dad," My brother spoke up. "At least one of us is grateful,"

"That's psychopathic, both of you!" Sarah yelled.

"I promised Rafe that he wouldn't go to prison for helping me. I had to make good on that promise,"

"Not that you care," Rafe scoffed.

"Did it look like we didn't care when we thought dad was dead?!" Sarah asked, her voice rising.

"It actually looked like you cared about running off with some assholes!" He fired back.

"It looked like all you cared about was the inheritance!" I snapped.

"Yes, you girls cared!" Ward shouted, interrupting the argument with our brother. "You cared! That's the point!