𝐋𝐞𝐭'𝐬 𝐆𝐨 𝐒𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐁𝐢𝐠 𝐉𝐨𝐡𝐧

We had been in the air for maybe ten minutes. Sarah was tending to Ward's injury while the rest of us sat at the back of the plane, just watching.

"That's good. Thank you, baby," Ward said to Sarah as she bandaged his leg. "God bless you,"

Without a word, Sarah finished what she was doing and returned to her seat next to John B.

"What the hell were you thinking, Aspyn?" Pope asked in a hushed tone. "Helping Ward?"

"Look, Rafe put a hit on Ward, regretted it, saw me walking, then asked for my help. I did it for Rafe, not Ward," I explained.

"Like that changes anything?" He said. "You know what he did to my family's cross!"

"I know. I get it, okay?" I sighed. "The thing is, Ward made Rafe into the person he is, I know because I almost ended up the same way. You and the Pogues showed me that just because Ward doesn't care, doesn't mean other people don't. Sure, Rafe has taken things further than I ever have, but I'll try to help him as much as I can. He needs to know that someone cares,"

My relationship with Rafe was complicated. We both cared about each other, but I knew I couldn't get through to him with everything that happened. I had tried in the past, but it didn't work. There was care, but our trust had been completely shattered. Neither of us had any ounce of trust left for the other. Maybe someone else out there could reach him though, someone who his trust hasn't been broken with. For now, offering him a foundation of the support he needed was the best I could do until he found that person.

"Listen, I know you hate Rafe, but you have to understand why I helped him," I continued.

Pope's expression was softer now, a hint of hesitation yet understanding in his eyes. "I do," He replied, gently touching my leg.

I gave a small smile at his gesture. "Look, I know the fire interrupted our talk, but I wanna tell you what's going on. You deserve to know. So-"

"John," Ward's voice pierced the air, interrupting me. John B lifted his gaze.

"I know you won't believe it, but...you have nothing to worry about from me. Not anymore. I'm just here to help you. All of you. I have a lot to make up for," Ward's voice trembled as he spoke. He briefly averted his gaze, then locked onto John B's once again. "For what it's worth, I'm glad your father's alive,"

John B's jaw tightened, and his eyes fell to the ground. Sarah reached out, giving his hand a comforting squeeze.

"And Aspyn, thank you," Ward continued. "Rafe couldn't have taken that guy alone. You saved me. You saved me even though I didn't deserve an ounce of your help,"

"You're right, you didn't deserve it. So don't make me regret it more than I already do," I responded, my tone cold.

Ward didn't say anything else, just turned to face the front. His gaze stayed forward and he seemed to be deep in thought, probably about how he could fuck us over or some shit.

I turned my attention back to Pope. "Every time we try to have this conversation we get interrupted," I said, giving a dry chuckle.

"What's going on, A?" He asked softly.

My breath came in shakily. I just had to spit it out, that would be the easiest.

"I've been craving cocaine," I blurted, refusing to look at him.

"Hold on, what? For how long?" He asked. His tone was more concerned and worried than anything.

"Since the island. About a week before we left," I admitted. Tears filled my eyes, threatening to spill down my cheeks at any moment. "That's why I've been having mood swings and snapping so much,"