𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡

"Okay, while you're out looking for your city of gold, I'm gonna go home and steal some clothes and maybe a phone if I can find it," Sarah said.

Big John and John B told us that they were searching for El Dorado, a lost city of gold. Supposedly, Denmark's diary had information as to where it was, which is why Singh wanted it.

"I'll probably head over with Sarah, then I'm gonna go see Pope. We haven't really talked since our fight and I need to apologize," I added. "Find us that gold though,"

John B smiled. "You know it. Road to the motherlode,"

"We'll be back," My sister said as we walked away.

"Six o'clock, back here," He told us. "Don't be late,"

"Toodles!" She called.

"Toodles?" I chuckled. "Ew,"

"Yeah, I know, it was awful," She laughed.

-

"I hate it here so much," I said as Sarah and I walked into our old home.

"Tell me about it," She agreed. "Let's just get what we need and go,"

Most of my stuff was already at the Chateau, so we immediately went to Sarah's room and practically ransacked it. We grabbed everything we could, including a phone we found.

"Alright, is that everything?" I questioned, shoving a few more clothes into a bag we had found.

"Yeah, that should be good," She said. "You sure you don't wanna grab some shit from your room?"

I shook my head. "There's nothing in there I need,"

"Alright, let's-"

She stopped at the sound of a door closing. I furrowed my brows at the noise.

"What the hell?" I whispered.

"Yeah, they said two days on the transfer," A voice said. "It's in the works though, so no worries,"

Slowly, we stepped out of her room and gazed down the stairs. At the bottom, Rafe was talking on the phone about some deal. He stepped into his room. After he was out of sight, I crept down the stairs, listening to the conversation from near his doorway. Sarah reluctantly followed.

"Wait, are you being serious?" He asked whoever was on the other end of the line. "I was just with you. What changed since then? What are you talking about?"

"Dad, no," He continued. "This cross is mine, you're taking it from me. Listen, this is something that I got through my work, and now you're trying to make yourself feel better by giving away my shit?! And you didn't even tell me?!"

"Oh, absolute bullshit," I scoffed. "There's no way in hell Ward is giving away the cross,"

"Sarah and Aspyn!" Our brother yelled, causing us to jump. "There it is! That's it! Yep, I knew it! There it is, dad!"

"Any more of my shit you wanna steal from me to impress Sarah and Aspyn?! Who don't give a shit about you?!" He questioned.

His fists were clenched as he paced around the room, listening to whatever it was Ward was saying.

He sat down, pressing a fist against his forehead. "For the record, this is bullshit. Okay? This is my thing," He huffed, rolling his eyes. "But of course, you can count on me

The way he had said that reminded me of the time we hadn't gotten back up generators when Ward asked for them. The two of us had no intention of actually getting them, and I was sure that he wasn't intending on helping Ward give away the cross. If that's what Ward was really doing.