Chapter Fourteen - Work Drama

The next week and a bit were spent mostly in the studio, recording. I was only able to show up a few times since I had my job and life on my home reality. I was surprisingly still able to keep my lives together, for now.

One day, while I was walking into work, I saw a bunch of other women in a group chit chatting. I decided to greet them,

     "Good morning! How are you guys?" I asked them. They looked at me, sighed and walked away, leaving me in the hallway by myself standing awkwardly. "Okay then..." I whispered to myself. I then walked to the cubical I worked in and started to write some emails and important information.

     I worked as a sales technician. All I did was help customers (other companies) get products and equipment that they need or help them with difficulties with an object.

     After two hours in, I was very concentrated so much that I hadn't heard a coworker of mine calling my name repeatedly and relentlessly.

     "Sorry. Yes, Daniel?" I replied. Michael was my boss. He was fun-loving and laid back most of the time but when he was stressed or excited, he was the complete opposite.

     "Think fast!" He got something from behind his back and threw it lightly at me.

     "What's this for?" I asked, scanning the box suspiciously.

     "Pack your things! Tell me when you're done!" He told me, then leaving me right after. I could tell that this was good news by his excited tone, so I obeyed without stress, but rather excitement and a little bit of confusion.

     It took me 10 minutes to get my things packed. Once I finished, I took my box with me and waddled over to Daniel's office since the box was extremely heavy and almost breaking by the amount of weighty and big things in it.

     "Great, Y/N!" He clapped his hands together and walked over to me. "Let me take that for you." He smiled, taking the box from my arms before I could insist. He didn't seem to be struggling with my things. This was awfully kind of him but I was still eager to find out what his plan was.

     From Daniel's office to our destination was only roughly ten steps.

     "This is your new office! Congratulations, Y/N! I've promoted you as our newest sales manager!" He announced.

     "Wow! This is incredible! Thank you so much! How much is the pay, if you don't mind me asking?" I asked.

     "Forty five thousand, eight hundred fifty eight a year." Daniel whispered.

     "Holy sh - wow!" I tried to keep at the same level of volume as him. "Why do I get this promotion and not someone else? I can assure you they work harder, especially since they've been here the longest." I explained my thoughts.

     "Well, they just aren't like you. Special, kind, hard working, beauti -" As he was saying that, he came closer to me and touched my arm. I knew exactly where he was going with this, so I backed up, cutting off his words before he could continue. I had to admit though, the compliments were a little flattering.

     "Sorry, Daniel. I'm with someone and this is just strictly a professional relationship." I pointed between my chest and his. "If you're only giving me this promotion because you're interested in me then I think I'd have to pass. I'm sorry. Give it to someone who really deserves it." I say calmly. He backed away, flushing with embarrassment. I try to walk out after a few seconds, but Daniel was speaking again,

     "Who is it?"

     "His name is John."

     "John who?"

     This is where I got stuck. Of course I couldn't say, "Lennon". He'd be either confused and wouldn't believe me or he'd act as if he were a regular guy and not dead in this universe. "John who?" He repeated, patiently. I had zoned out, thinking.

     "Sorry, his last name?" I asked, stalling.

     "Yes."

     "Fields."