Chapter Eleven

Professor Gina locked eyes with Calida while Izar watched the two of them, confused. Calida stood up quickly and handed the papers and books she had picked up to the professor.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. I should have looked where I was going."

"Um, no," Professor Gina began to say, "it's equally my fault as well. I should have done the same thing as well, Calida."

Izar turned to the professor immediately. She looked surprised. How did the professor go from addressing Calida formally, to calling her by her first name? They weren't on a first-name basis last time she checked. The urge to ask what was going on was too strong for her to handle.

"Calida, let's go. We have somewhere to be right now," Izar said.

"Sure," Calida replied. She stopped looking at the professor. The look of disappointment in Izar's eyes made her feel awful.

Too stunned to say anything, Calida grabbed her hand and led the way to the car. She didn't even turn back. Not once, not when she felt eyes burning holes through her skull. Calida opened the door for Izar first, before getting in the driver's seat.

"What was that about?" Izar asked, breaking the awkward silence that had filled the car.

Calida grumbled, "you don't have to know. It's nothing."

"Nah. The way she looked at you wasn't nothing, Calida."

"You say my name like we're anything to each other like I mean anything to you," Calida said calmly.

Izar opened her mouth to say something, anything, but nothing came out. Instead, she stared out the window. What Calida had said somehow made her feel awful. Did she have a right to feel the way she did? She had been pissed off when she saw the way professor Gina looked at Calida. There was something Calida wasn't telling her or maybe she was overthinking it. She stole a glance at Calida.

Calida was relaxed as she drove the car. She had not been expecting to see professor Gina. She didn't even understand why Izar was making a deal out of it. She had bumped into the woman, she helped picked her stuff, and apologized. The woman also apologized too. So why was Izar acting like a jealous girlfriend?

They arrived at the hospital and Calida parked the car. She got out just as Izar was about to open the door and get out. Calida closed the door, ignoring the look of annoyance that Izar gave her. She opened the door and patiently waited for Izar to get out.

"You don't want me knowing anything about you, but you want to open car doors for me. You also say we do not mean anything to one another, but you don't act that way. I wonder what it is that you want exactly!"

As she walked away, Calida watched her small form. The last time she had to protect a brat, it wasn't one so drop-dead gorgeous. It was a twelves years old brat. She didn't know if she would last longer with this one.

°°

"Good afternoon. I'm Izar Sterling and I'm here to see Alyssa Stephen. We were here last night."

"Good afternoon. Ms. Stephen has been moved to room number 202. That's on the third floor," the nurse at the reception replied.

Calida had been standing behind her with her arms folded. When she followed her inside, the nurse looked at them, confused.

"I'm with her," Calida said.

Izar continued to give her an attitude until they got to the third floor. The hospital was huge. Calida closed her eyes one time when a patient walked by and they could see his butt through the opening in the back of his hospital gown.

"You saw that too?" Calida asked Izar.

"Yeah, I did. It's nasty."

Calida chuckled. "We're going to be old someday, you know."

Izar glanced at her, before stopping in front of a door.

"We're here."

The first person Calida noticed was the woman sitting inside the room. She had a badge around her neck. At least Alyssa was in safe hands.

"She looks so awful. Who could have done this to her?" Izar asked. She brushed a bit of hair from Alyssa's face.

"She has a few broken ribs, her neck is broken as well. Her right ankle was dislocated. She suffered a blow to the head twice and she also has some gunshot wounds. One to her left side and another to her chest. It's a miracle she survived," the police officer said, getting up.

Calida shook hands with her after introducing herself and Izar.

"Has she woken up at all?" Calida asked.

"No. Not at all. As I said, it's a miracle that she survived. How do you guys know her?" The woman asked.

"Oh, Alyssa and I have been friends for some time. She hasn't met my girlfriend yet though," Izar said. Her eyes twinkled with mischief.

"Girlfriend?" The police officer and Calida asked simultaneously.

"Yes. Calida and I started dating a few days after Alyssa stopped replying to our text. My friend and I decided we would visit her. But that same night, we got a call about her current situation."

Calida sighed heavily. She wiped her brows. Probably, if she had been trained as an assassin, or if she had used that part of her training, maybe Izar would be dead by now and she would have done the killing herself.

"What will happen to Alyssa? Will the people who did this to her be apprehended?" Calida asked.

Izar was now standing next to her. It was easier to not look at Alyssa's bruised face and body. That way she didn't have to think about everything that had happened.

"We're going to keep her safe. An investigation is being carried out right now to find the culprits. The only problem is that Alyssa is yet to wake up. We will need her statement as well."

"Will you put her in Witness Protection Program? She might need it. She's a witness as well," Calida stated.

The police officer stared at Calida for a few seconds, surprised and confused at the same time. Calida didn't back down. She kept her stance and said nothing else at all. The police officer looked at her one last time before leaving the room to give them some privacy.

Calida didn't say a word until they left the hospital an hour later. The ride back home was quiet too. Calida ordered pizza the moment they got home. She wanted to lie down, listen to good music, and ignore the fact that she had to protect a drama queen.