Chapter Twenty-Seven

The private jet was a Gulfstream G650. And Calida was okay with that. She had gotten all the details and everything else she needed from the agency. The drive to the airport had been a long one, especially after the attacks. Calida had to be careful. It was why she had asked for fake IDs and fake passports, too. Calida started the SUV once Izar was safely seated inside. She buckled the seatbelt before hurrying over to her side.

"Are you sure about this?" Izar asked her quietly.

"I am. It's the only way we can end this nonsense once and for all. You've got to trust me," Calida stated, staring at Izar as if willing the woman to believe her.

They'd driven the SUVs that the guards had brought. It had darkened windows, and Calida preferred the privacy it got. Diablo could send more men after them if he didn't hear from the ones he had sent earlier. Calida was certain they were all dead.

"Are you okay?" Calida asked Izar.

Izar glared at her bodyguard. "I was shot at! Multiple times! Am I supposed to be fine?"

"Well, no. But you're with me, so you should be fine," Calida shrugged.

Izar ignored her until they arrived at the private terminal. The jet crew met them there. A tall man walked up to them. Calida took a stance immediately, going blank.

"Good afternoon! You must be Irene Hastings and Ryan Beacon. I'm your captain, Captain Wells Harrison. We've been expecting you. Your flight is in thirty minutes, and you can board the plane now..."

After introducing the rest of the crew members, Calida watched as they handled their luggage with care. They boarded the plane, Calida going in first.

The jet was luxurious. It had comfortable seating. Izar immediately jumped on one of the six chairs in glee while Calida thoroughly checked.

The cabins were spacious, the plane had been made with high-quality materials, and the interior design was modern. It took Calida five minutes before she returned to a seat across from Izar, who didn't want to spare her a glance now that she was back to her usual self.

Their eyes met, and she glared at her bodyguard, who shrugged. She immediately turned away from her. They waited patiently until the jet taxied down the runway, and they took off. A few minutes later, she turned to find Izar fast asleep. She got out of her seat and tried to make her comfortable. After pulling a blanket over her, Calida sat back down.

"Your girlfriend looks really adorable when she's asleep."

"Girlfriend?" She asked, turning to one of the air hostesses walking closer.

She smiled. "Yeah. We all saw how you took care of her. It was really sweet. Would you like anything to drink?"

"Not really." Calida said. "Thank you. I can't have alcohol right now."

There was no  need to clear her misconception or anything. It wasn't like she liked the idea of Izar being called her girlfriend. There were raging dragonflies in her stomach, which meant she wanted that more than she let on. Besides, it was better off that way. Maybe if the rest of them thought she was Calida's girlfriend, it would be a proper disguise for her. She rested against her seat, shutting her eyes, pretending to be asleep. It was better this way, and she could monitor everyone.

For the hours they spent on board the jet, Izar didn't speak to her, but she'd watched her sleep, and she'd fought the urge to push a stray strand of hair behind her ears. Calida had felt warm inside, watching her sleep peacefully. Izar was beautiful, ethereal, the kind of woman she thought she didn't deserve. There was too much going on in her life anyway. She didn't want to ruin someone else's life.