Chapter Fifteen

Rayden

"Okay, somebody tell me what the shit just happened? When did you two get on good terms again? When the hell did you guys get hitched? And where the FUCK is she going?" Addy screams.

I walk to my room, throwing on my white sweats and a black beanie so I can be more presentable. I walk back into the kitchen, still ignoring her questions. I slouch into the chair and grab my glass of whiskey, not really in the mood to talk to anyone. But of course, the door swings open, and in walks Dad, Mom, Roger, and Tracy. I groan into my hands and lean over onto the table.

"So why were we called here?" dad asks.

"Ask Rayden," Macy says.

"And why did my daughter just walk out of here?" Roger asks.

"Ask Rayden," Addy says.

I slump further into the table, getting slightly annoyed.

"And why was she wearing a 23 thousand dollar bridal set on her ring finger?" Mom asked.

"ASK RAYDEN!" both of my sisters yell.

"UGGHHHH! Can you guys please just shut the hell up for one minute? I just lost my wife for the 2nd time for God knows how long and I would appreciate it if I could take a minute to breathe!" I yell at them.

They all put their hands up in defense and take a seat somewhere in the room. I rest my head back into my hands and start twisting the band on my finger. I take deep long breaths, trying to fight the tears from falling.

She wouldn't want me to cry. The short amount of time I just spent with her was unbelievably breathtaking. I went from hating her for leaving me, to marrying her and trying for a baby. Just for her to walk out again.

My phone starts buzzing in my pocket, and I pull it out to look at the text message.

.. .-.. --- ...- . -.-- --- ..- .. -- ... --- .-. .-. -.-

I smile, letting the tears fall freely. My screen switches to an incoming call from an unknown number, and I answer it immediately, knowing it's her.

"I only have 60 seconds so just listen." She stops for a second, and I hear her fighting back her own tears. "I don't know how long this mission will be, but I promise you, baby, I will be back. I will be back in your arms soon Rayden, and we will continue to try for the family and life we both deserve. Don't give up on me, please. I love you so much Rayden and I will forever."

"I won't. I love you always baby girl," I whisper into the phone as I hear her suck in her breath and hang up. It takes everything in me to not throw the phone against the wall and run out the door after her. But I have no idea where she's going, and I won't until she gets back.

My mother walks over to me and leans down, wiping my tears. "It's okay Rayden." I will myself to stop the tears, remembering my family is still here. I wipe my cheeks and walk to the counter to refill my glass before going back out and sitting down to explain.

I sigh, "Olivia and I got back together." They all stayed silent. "Actually, we did more than get back together, we got married. Senior year, when Olivia and I were in that house fire, it determined both of our futures." I stare into space remembering the night our lives changed for good.

***

School had just let out and I am on my way to the Link home to see Olivia. As I turn the corner, my attention is drawn to the house in flames. I race up the driveway, pulling out my phone to call 911. I jump out of the car once I've parked and run to the front door. Not finding a way in, I go to the back of the house and find an open window. Pushing the window up and climbing in, I take off my hoodie, covering my mouth to avoid inhaling the smoke.