Chapter Twenty-Eight

Olivia

My eyes open, and all I see is black. Where am I? I hear beeping next to me but can't seem to turn my head to see what it is. A tight grasp holds my hand, but I'm not able to grip it back. The smell of citrus and spice mixed with rubbing alcohol tickles my nose, and I wonder why?

The hand is pulled away, and it's as if I almost want it to stay and hold me again. I feel a feather-like touch on my forehead that pulls me towards it. But I'm instantly tugged back when it stops. Warm breathing on my ears as a melodious tune is heard. "Good morning, baby." it's Rayden's voice, and I get excited.

Good morning

"How'd you sleep?" but before I can answer, she continues, "I slept well. I wish you would just wake up already" Am I not awake? Then where am I? what is this? "The twins are getting so big... sometimes I feel them kicking or moving now, and I wish you were here to see it with me."

Wait, she knows I'm pregnant... I don't remember telling her. Something moves inside me, and I start to freak out. Beeping is going on next to my head, and I feel the presence of Rayden leave my side.

"Macy, her monitor is going off... What's going on?"

I feel another presence in the room, and by the sound of her voice I know it's my sister-in-law. "I don't know what's going on. Her heart rate increases, but she's not doing anything to make it. Did something happen?"

"The babies were moving, that's all."

Moving? But if they are only two months, they can't be moving.

"Wow. That's amazing."

"What is it, Macy. Talk to me. I thought its normal for them to be moving at 5 months." I hear Rayden panic.

"She's responding to them moving. I think she either got frightened or excited enough to spike her heart rate."

Frightened is correct, Lady. Somebody better start explaining what's going on right now to me. Hello.... Hello.

Why aren't they answering me?

Helllooooo.

I see a thin line of light coming through this blackness, and I think about walking towards it.

***

"Hi, Mommy" I jump to the voices behind me and turn to see two beautiful girls. I tilt my head in confusion.

They look very much like Rayden... with a hint of me, "Are you..."

They start giggling and hug my legs. "We're your daughters," one of them says.

But... "How..."

The other takes my hand, and the feeling of her small palm in mine causes me to smile. We start walking to the light, and I feel as I'm getting closer to it.

"We don't have much time, Mommy. Daddy needs you."

Needs me? Am I not there to be with her? This is all so confusing. Why won't anyone explain this to me? I just want to go home. Being in this darkness is starting to scare me. I can hear, and smell, and feel, but I can't see. I can't respond. I can't move.

This is killing me. I want this to end. I want to go home to Rayden. I want to tell her the good news as I planned. I want to feel her touch and see her beautiful smile. Why can't I wake up from this nightmare? I start to sob and fall to my knees. The girls stop walking and turn to me. They both wipe one of my cheeks from the tears and smile at me.

"Mommy, don't cry. This will all be over soon," one of the girls say.

"But how?"

"Listen to Daddy, Ma," the other says.

"I am listening to her!"

They look at each other and smile. "When Daddy calls to you," one says

"Answer her." the other finishes her sister sentence.

They start slowly walking towards the light, and I'm left there on my knees. "Wait," I yell out, "What are your names?"

They turn to me, grinning, "I'm Hope."

"And I'm Faith," they say proudly and walk through the light.