Chapter Twenty-Two

Olivia

We walk into headquarters going straight to Agent Lacey's office for the meeting. "Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you all for coming when we called. Also, welcome Rayden. We don't usually allow 'outsiders', but it's nice to meet you."

She did not just say that. I roll my eyes at her, and Rayden puts on a fake smile to answer, "Thank you for having me."

Lacey nods. "So, what is the plan, Lacey?" Rayden glances at me, confused by how I address her.

What she doesn't know is that Lacey and I once were a thing. Leadership does not know either. We kept it under wraps because it is not allowed. That was 2 years ago when we started messing around. Things didn't go anywhere, so we called it quits. Things went back to being professional between us... for the most part. She knew about Rayden from the beginning and understood my heart would always be hers.

I shake my head at Ray, not wanting to explain right now.

A throat is cleared, and we look at Lacey. She eyes me then continues, "Olivia after you and Rayden's... honeymoon, you will be joining your father's team in Miami."

"So, no more missions in the field from headquarters? No more undercover?" I ask.

"No. You will become their analyst and hacker, for when they receive jobs from us." I nod my head, keeping a straight face. "Can the rest of you guys give Olivia and I a minute?" Lacey asks, and I tilt my head concerned, but they all oblige.

Everyone starts to walk out, and Rayden looks back at me, but I nod for her to go ahead. She does, and I'm left alone in the office with Lacey. She's facing the window but as she turns around, I walk over to her and lean on her desk. She looks at me and smiles, walking to her desk and sitting next to me.

"You might want to start addressing me correctly before your wife gets the wrong notion in her head."

"You let me handle my wife," I say, glaring back at her. "So, your team found one guy alive at the scene?"

Todd let it slip that one of the guys that got off the elevator was still alive when the police showed up to help. Our team intercepted his ambulance and took him. I know he has a gunshot wound, so I want to know what they are doing to him.

She starts laughing. "You think just because we slept together, I'll give you information? You wanted off this case."

I roll my eyes. "Lacey, that was 2 years ago. Seriously. We said we wouldn't bring it up. You said you were fine being best friends."

"I'm your boss Olivia. Plus, I'm fine with being just your best friend. I just hate seeing the woman I fell for, in love with someone else."

I sigh. "You always knew it was her Lace, I'm sorry that I couldn't reciprocate those feelings for you. I love her."

She raises her hand. "I know Liv, you don't have to elaborate. I see the way she looks at you. She loves you just the same."

I smile at the thought that Rayden gives me a look. She notices and shakes her head laughing. "You are so whipped girl," she said, shoving me.

"After 22 years of knowing her, yes, she still makes me happy." I look out the window, "I couldn't imagine my life without her again."

She nods. "I understand. I'm glad you are happy." I know she's being sincere.

"Thank you."

She wipes her hands on her pants then pushes herself back on the chair. "He's in the vault. We left his gunshot wound open and used it for additional information."

I look up confused for a second before putting two and two together. "You want to get him to talk about other cartels?"

She starts laughing. "Liv, how long have you been working for us? By now, you should know we aim to get information. Also, nobody else knows it was you. So, your name is clear. You can live a free life away from the field again." I look out the window and think about the pain the guy is probably in from the shot. He deserves it for the shit he does for a living, but there's still a small trace of regret from me hurting and killing so many people.

My hand runs over my own gunshot wounds, and she notices. She puts her hand on top of mine and I jump at the sudden contact, but soon relax to her touch. "I'm sorry you had to take the shots to save me, Liv. I will forever owe you my life."

I smile and look at her. "No, you don't. You are my best friend Lace. I would take a bullet for you again, no questions asked. Won't recommend it though. It sucks."

We both start laughing, and she gets up to hug me. "I love you Via." She was the only one that called me Via. She said she wanted to be different. I hated it in the beginning but got over it eventually.

"I love you too, Lace." I know our statements hold two different meanings behind them, but I do love her as a friend. She was my best friend before she became my boss. She was the first person that treated me nicely when I got here. Even though she's 6 years older than me.

People were so mad that a 19-year-old could hack their system and ruin their plans. They were rude to me. I had to earn my place here. After spending 5 years in a new place with someone and taking a bullet for them, you learn to love them, even if it's not in a romantic way.

She kisses my cheek and pulls back grinning, "Your wife is waiting for you V, go get her." I laugh at her and walk out of her office.

Dad, Cam, and Alex walk back in, and I take Rayden's hand to leave.