Chapter Eight

It had been a week since I had been at the GCPD and to my luck, I hadn't heard anything from my family or Carmen. They hadn't tried to contact me and the media seemed to have a new story to talk about which was great. Carmen's campaign for Mayor wasn't going great anymore. It seems that their stupid plan to scare me had backfired, and he was starting to lose followers. It was nice to see that the people of Gotham had my back and were defending me, although it wouldn't surprise me if the election would be rigged somehow. I hadn't seen much of them in the public eye, but I wasn't really looking anyway. I was glad they were officially out of my life and Jim Gordon had given them a warning that if they did break the restraining order then they'd be behind bars regardless whether I wanted to press charges or not. So far, they were staying away and it was like a breath of fresh air. I had kept in touch with Alfred, and after every conversation he still asked me to come back to Wayne Manor but honestly I was doing fine by myself. I was catching up on my work with some charities and it was nice to just have the time to myself without being disturbed. Having the space gave me time to think about Bruce, and I decided that I was going to try and forgive him for what he had done. I didn't know if that meant we'd get back together because that was a big ask, but it wasn't something I was ruling out. Recently, he had been good to me, and I couldn't just forget that. We had some issues that needed resolving if we were ever going to try again, but right now they'd have to take a back seat.

Currently, I was sitting in my office replying to some emails. I had so many and most of them were people wishing me well and hoping that I was okay. One email in particular was discussing the plan I had for a new children's home. It was something I had always wanted to work on, but with being around my father and Carmen it had been pushed away, but now I was ready to see it through. It was early stages, but the first thing we were trying to do was find a decent location. One that wasn't surrounded by an area of crime. I wanted it to be a home where children could stay and feel safe. Where we could help them grow up to be whoever they wanted to be regardless of their background or any amount of money. As I was noting down some things from the email, the phone beside my laptop started to ring. I picked it up and balanced it on my shoulder against my ear as I continued to write.

"Hello," I greeted, knowing it wasn't going to be anyone I didn't want to hear from, thanks to having a new number.

"Ms Montez, how are you?"

My smile grew. "Alfred, is everything okay?"

"Actually, there is something I wanted to ask you, and no it's not about coming back to live at the Manor. I know it's your birthday in a couple of days and I wanted to celebrate." With everything going on I had forgotten about my birthday. It wasn't something I ever really celebrated, only because I didn't like all of the attention, but I did appreciate it when people made an effort for me. "Now, I know you don't like anything over the top, so I thought you, myself and Bruce could have dinner together."

It had been a long time since I last had dinner with the two of them. Near towards when it all started crumbling, Bruce wasn't really ever around for dinner, so it was just Alfred and I. Did I really want to go back to Wayne Manor? Did I really want to start spending more time with Bruce?

"I don't know, Alfred. I..."

"I know it's a big ask, but with everything going on recently I thought it would be nice for us to spend some time together. If you don't want to, it's okay, but I at least wanted to ask. I know Bruce would also be happy to see you."

I dropped my pen and opened the drawer beside me. In there I had kept photographs of Bruce and I. I couldn't get rid of them. I didn't have the heart too. I smiled a little at the memories associated with the photo. I remember how happy we were and I missed that. Maybe I could make an effort.