Chapter Twenty-Three

(Bruce's POV)

For the first time in a while, I felt truly exhausted. Work had gotten the better of me recently and deep down, I was ashamed of it. I knew the consequences, and I wasn't listening to the voices in my head telling me to stop. I had finally got a lead on Mr Nashton. Two men by the names of Jack and Adam were reportedly working for him selling shipments of drugs to make money. I had been working so hard to find something and now I had something, I had to act on it. It was currently five in the evening and I didn't usually go out this early, but it was my only chance. From tracking, I knew that Jack and Adam were at the dock warehouse and I was going to get answers. This so-called Mr Nashton knew the truth about what happened to Carmen, and I knew that eventually it would be used as a weapon against Isabella. This man had already killed her father and despite seeming to appear as if he was on her side with the smart note he left, I knew there was more to it. This man was good at what he did. He hadn't been caught and I wondered whether he had done something like this before. He couldn't be left out there.

My plan was to talk to Jack and Adam, and see what information they could give me. Even the smallest bit of information would help. Anything is better than nothing. I knew I was risking being late to my date with Isabella, but I was hopeful I'd be done with this in time and then I could get home and enjoy my night with her. I was doing all of this for her because I couldn't live in a world without her in it. I couldn't risk her being hurt again, and I promised I'd protect her. That wouldn't ever change. Too much had already happened and I wasn't going to let it happen again.

I watched as Jack and Adam loaded cardboard boxes onto the back of a van. I could take a good guess as to what was in the boxes. Keeping in the shadows, I did my best to eavesdrop and stay hidden, however I knew I had to make an appearance soon if I wanted to get anything from them. It had to be now.

(Isabella's POV)

When I woke up this morning I was struck with nerves. It wasn't a feeling I was familiar with and I imagined that was because I hadn't been on a date in a long time. Bruce never really ever made me feel nervous, but this was a fresh start. There was a lot riding on this date and with how things had been recently, Bruce had to step up if he wanted our relationship to work.

I thought about it all day and hoped that the evening would go perfectly. I had even bought a new black dress for the occasion. I wasn't one to dress up, but I wanted to make an effort and so the dress I had chosen was elegant, simple but also appealing to the eye. I was matching it with my trench white coat and black heels. My makeup was always as natural as possible and I clipped half of my hair back.

As it got closer to 6:30, I started to think about Bruce and what he was doing. I even started to wonder what he was thinking. He wasn't one to talk about his feelings much, but I hoped tonight he would open up to me like he used to and we could lift some boundaries and get back to where we used to be. It was going to take time, but I really wanted to make it work. I just hoped he felt the same way. When I was ready, I went downstairs and waited on the sofa in the living room. I assumed that Bruce would meet me here as we were being picked up at seven.

In the silence, I kept my eyes on the clock hoping that he would appear. I was hopeful and smiled to myself feeling confident that tonight would go perfectly.

(Bruce's POV)

Both Adam and Jack were hanging upside down from the roof of the back of the van. After knocking them out they had finally come around, and when they saw me, they tried to scream but the sounds were muffled underneath the tape. They found me crouching over the cardboard boxes and when I noticed they were awake, I reached in and lifted a handful of small bags.