Chapter Twenty-Four

My adrenaline was at a high as I threw my clothes into my bags. I couldn't do this anymore. I had been hurt too many times before and I wasn't going to let it happen again. These past couple of months had been too much for me and I couldn't take anymore heartache. I didn't really want to leave and of course, my heart was urging me to stay, but I needed to listen to my head. I changed into some flat shoes and wiped the tears from my eyes before heading downstairs with a bag hanging on my shoulder. I'd come back for the rest of my things another day.

When I got to the front door, Alfred was standing there with a sad look on his face. "Isabella, please don't leave. It's dark and it's raining. I know you're hurt, but just stay until morning."

"Alfred, I love you. You know I do, but I'm leaving. I can't be here another minute longer. I've given him chance after chance and I'm so over it." Alfred didn't move from near the door. He sighed and dropped his eyes to the ground almost ashamed of the situation. "I can take the car and drive to a hotel. I'll let you know as soon as I'm there, I promise."

He was defeated. "Okay, fine," he muttered before handing me the car keys. "You're an adult. I can't force you to stay, even though I wish you would."

I felt bad, but this wasn't between Alfred and I. If I stayed, Bruce would want to talk to me and I didn't want to talk to him. I couldn't be bothered to hear all of his excuses because they didn't wash with me.

"If Bruce asks where I am, just tell him I've left and that I'm not coming back."

With that, I took my leave. I put an arm over my head trying to cover my face from the rain as I shoved my bags onto the back seat of one of the cars. Alfred and Bruce had their own car, but they also had a spare in case someone needed it. Honestly, I never thought it would be me needing it to escape from here. When I was finally in the drivers seat, I started the engine and glanced in the rear view mirror at the Manor. Gripping the steering wheel tightly trying to fight back my tears, I convinced myself I was doing right by my own well-being. After a few minutes, I plucked up the courage and eventually started to drive. It was a slow drive towards the gates due to the heavy rain that was coming down, and just as I was approaching the monitor to input the code, Bruce appeared in front of the gates. He was in his bat suit, but had his mask off and the rain was soaking his hair, and causing the black makeup on his face to run. I stopped the car and stared straight at him with my teary eyes. He wasn't moving, so I beeped the horn. Still, he didn't move. Did he really think this was smart? I realised at his attempt to stop me leaving, I couldn't leave in the car. I shrugged and opened the car door, climbing out and immediately grabbing my bag from the back seat. The car door slammed shut and I made my way over to the monitor inputting the code to open the gates. Just as I hoped, they started opening, so I started walking.

"Isabella, don't do this," Bruce said loudly over the rain, still standing at the front of the gates.

"I'm going whether you like it or not," I replied pushing past him, not taking a single glance at him. I didn't care if I had to walk in the rain. I had been through worse.

"Isabella," he called again chasing after me. I tried to speed up my steps, but it was obvious he'd always win when it came to speed.

"Bruce, please leave me alone," I begged.

"Where are you going?" He asked and I felt his hand touch my arm gently as he moved his frame in front of me to block my path. "You can't leave."