Chapter Twenty-Nine

A couple of days had passed and Bruce had asked me to attend the Mayor's remembrance ceremony with him. He wanted to go to look out for clues which I didn't mind, but it also meant that the paparazzi would be thrilled to see both Bruce and me as it was rare if we made an appearance together. Since 44 Below was on my mind, I was concerned about seeing Falcone and I wondered whether not telling Bruce about what had happened was for the best. If Bruce did know then perhaps there would have been an argument or a fight, and I was just glad that wasn't going to happen. It wasn't necessary, especially at a event like this.

When we exited Bruce's car, Bruce took hold of my hand tightly and we both started making our way up the steps. I kept hold of Bruce's hand tight as we did and I used my free hand to wrap my coat around me as it wasn't exactly warm. When was it ever warm in Gotham? The crowds outside were loud and I had never seen as many police in my life. Clearly, they were on the lookout. I couldn't help but hear the protestors shouting 'no more lies'. It made me feel guilty about Carmen. I was lying to the city of Gotham and to the people. They wouldn't understand why. It's not like I wanted it to happen, but still, I felt the guilt growing heavier on my shoulders as the days passed. I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard a familiar voice. One that I didn't want to hear.

"Hey, would you look who it is?" When my eyes land on Falcone my chest tightens. He still wore those dark sunglasses to cover his beady eyes and that same smirk still draped across his face. "It's the king and queen of the city." I dropped my hand from Bruce's and instead placed it around his arm squeezing tightly. It was hard to see where Falcone was looking as he stepped closer to us. "Some event, huh? Brought out the one guy in the city more reclusive than me."

"Thought you'd never leave the shoreline. Aren't you afraid someone'll take a shot at you?" Bruce questions and I feel my body stiffen. This is exactly why I didn't want to tell him what happened. It would only cause more drama.

"Why? 'Cause your father aren't around?" Carmine looks at Oswald and Bruce looks back at me briefly as if almost checking up on me. "Oz, you know Bruce Wayne?"

"Wow. Is that right?" Oswald smirks as if almost disappointed with what he was seeing.

"His father saved my life. I got shot in the chest. Right here. I couldn't go to no hospital, so we showed up on his doorstep. Operated right on the dining room table. Kid here, he saw the whole thing, up on the stairs looking down. I remember your face. You don't think that meant something, he did that?"

"It meant he took the Hippocratic oath."

"Hippocratic oath. That's good," Falcone laughed and then he moved his head as if to look in my direction. "Isabella, how rude of me. It's so good to see you again. Still looking as gorgeous as ever." This time it was Bruce that stiffens at his words. Falcone extended his hand to me, but I just looked down at it in disgust. He smirked. "Still holding it against me, huh?" From the look of horror in my eyes, it was clear to Falcone that Bruce didn't know about what had happened. He nods slowly and steps backwards. "I see. Well, I am sorry about what happened to Harry. He was a good man. Oh, and congratulations on your marriage."

We couldn't have escaped quicker, but from the moment we left Falcone and his men, I knew Bruce would be questioning everything. He didn't hesitate.

"What was he talking about?" Bruce asks quietly. "He said it was good to see you again. I didn't know you knew him."

"Of course I do. He was friends with my father."

"What is it you still hold against him?"

"Bruce, I don't think this is the time or place to be talking about this," I say trying to calm him down as we walked through the hall. It was evident he was getting frustrated and I understood why, but I couldn't exactly tell him here could I. It wasn't something I wanted to talk about. He stops in his tracks and turns around to face me causing me to drop my grip on his arm. Luckily, it was so crowded in here that no one was taking any notice of us.

"Isabella, is there something you're not telling me?" I shake my head and try to continue down the hall, but he slowly moves in front of me. "Isabella, I need to know. We're married. You can't keep things from me that are serious, especially when it involves him."

"I know we're married, but I'm still entitled to my privacy."

"Since when do we keep things from each other? Isabella, please talk to me."

"Will you stop?" I snap and he seems surprised by my tone. "Do you think I'm stupid? Whatever it is, do you really think I'd want to tell you while we're here? Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe it might be hard for me to talk about?"

I couldn't argue with him anymore and I wasn't going to do it here so I pushed past him and headed towards one of the benches near the front. When I did sit, I glanced back to see him talking to Bella Real. I knew he'd be frustrated by my sudden leave, but I needed a moment to myself. That didn't last for long though because, in the corner of my eye, I notice a person join me. I glance left to see Falcone. He slid closer to me but was sure to keep a gap between us.

"What do you want?" I asked facing forward not wanting to look at him.

"I saw you were alone and I just thought-"

"What? Thought you'd try your luck again."

"I'm not the bad person you think I am, Isabella. What happened between us, it shouldn't have happened. I understand why you hate me, but at least know that I am sorry. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't regret what happened. I think you're a nice girl. You don't deserve to be hurt."

"Well, I'm not hurt."

"I bet these past couple of years have been tough on you, huh? Bet you feel like just moving away, right?" All of the time. "I get it. I do too. You know though if you ever need anything, you know where to find me." He flicks his business card towards me and leans closer. "Between you and I, it would have been nice to be the one taking care of you. I hope Bruce is doing a good job of it."

Before either of us could say anything, there was a loud noise coming from outside. It caught the attention of everyone in the hall. When it turned to screams everyone stood up in a panic. I felt a hard stare coming from the balcony above and as I slowly looked up, my eyes landed on him. Mr Nashton. When my eyes met with him, it was as if I had stopped breathing. I'd never forget that face. He smirked a little as his eyes glared into mine. Instantly feeling the need to have Bruce by my side, I try to find him, but I couldn't in the crowd and just as I was about to go searching, Falcone grabbed my arm and yanked me back towards him. He timed it perfectly because as he did, a black car slammed through the hall and crashed onto the steps. It was covered with writing. Falcone had his arms wrapped around me, but despite being grateful for the help, I pushed out of his grip and immediately looked up at the balcony to see that Mr Nashton had gone. That's when I saw Bruce and he saw me. As the crowd started to make a racket and the police rush towards the car, we pushed our way toward each other. Bruce checked if I was okay, but I was too concerned with trying to tell him what I had witnessed.

"Bruce, he's here," I breathlessly say gripping onto his coat.

"Who?" He asked.

"Mr Nashton. I saw him up there." Bruce did his best to steady me, and as he did a man stepped out of the crashed car. It was Colson. Bruce watched him closely and pushed me behind him a little. I didn't let go of his coat. A phone rang and it appeared it was strapped to Colsonshand. As it did, he pointed to the note taped to his shirt. It was addressed 'to the Batman'.

"Bruce," I mutter leaning closer to him. "What are we going to do?"

___________

So, Mr Nashton is back! What do we think? What do you think about Carmine as well? He did basically save her from the car so he has to have a point for that, right? Bruce still doesn't know what happened though. Let me know what you think in the comments.