Chapter Nine

*IMPORTANT*

Please be advised that some scenes in this chapter contain violence and an attempted sexual assault. Please do not read if this makes you uncomfortable in any way. I will put warning markers beside where this is.

I want all readers to feel safe and comfortable. Please remember to be kind. My inbox is always open for anyone that might need some support or to chat.

Much love.
_________

The rest of the night went fine despite the moment we had previously. The three of us spoke for a little while longer, with Bruce and I sharing the occasional glance until I decided that it was time to go home, even though I felt like I was home. Standing beside my car, I said my goodbyes to Alfred and he went back inside the manor, leaving Bruce and I. We looked at each other for a moment and I smiled.

"So, I guess I will see you soon?" I said putting my hands into my coat pockets.

"Absolutely," Bruce mumbled with a nod, and we stepped towards each other to hug. Awkwardly we both leant towards the same side and we laughed a little, apologising and moving to the opposite side. His embrace was warm and it felt good being in his arms. I leant into his shoulder closing my eyes for a second so I could really cherish the moment. Eventually, we pulled away, but kept our hands on each others arms. I gazed into his eyes, but snapped them away after a minute. He smiled and leant down to place a soft kiss on my cheek. There was those sparks again. Before it could go any further, I dropped my hands and went to get into my car.

"Call me?" I said, and a surprised look formed onto his face. He was speechless by my words, and he nodded slowly. "Goodnight, Bruce."

With that, I started the engine and drove away, glancing in the wing mirror to see Bruce still standing there watching me as I left. I noticed the bat symbol in the sky. He'd be going out and doing his thing, but I was glad that he had made an effort to spend time to me. I kept him in my thoughts hoping that he would be okay.

Eventually, I was home. It wasn't too late, but I was ready to jump into bed. As I walked through the front door, I took off my boots and made my way over to the fridge to pour a glass of water. As Alfred insisted, I sent him a text so he knew I was home safe. With everything that had happened, he said I had to be extra careful and if it kept him happy, I was okay with doing it. Opening the bedroom door, I threw my phone onto the bed and switched on the bedside lamp. I looked up towards my closet, and had the scare of my life. There was Carmen, sitting in the couch, staring in my direction. I jumped at his presence. It was very clear that he was drunk. His eyes were drooping with tiredness and he wouldn't stop fidgeting.

"Carmen," I breathed, putting my hand onto my chest as my heart started to beat faster. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to see you," he slurred.

"You're not supposed to be here. How did you get in?"

He raised one of his hands and revealed a key, showing it off as if he had just won a prize. My eyes trailed over the whiskey glass in his hand, along with the empty bottles on the side tables.

"You've been drinking," I mumbled to myself. That explained a lot. I didn't know why he had a key to my place. I had never given him permission to have one, but the thought scared me. How many times has he been in here when I've not known?

"Where have you been?" He asked, necking the rest of the whiskey before slamming the glass down into the side. He stood and put his hands into his pockets.

"That's not your concern."

"Out with Brucey?" He smirked stepping towards me, ignoring everything I was saying.