Chapter Thirteen

Bruce and I had woken up early to go to my apartment. It was officially decided I'd stay with Bruce for a while. I said it was just for now, however I did hope that it would be permanent, but I couldn't promise myself that especially if we weren't able to get back on track. So far, we were doing okay, but we've had a lot occupying our mind and despite him apologising for everything that had happened, there were still things that needed laying out on the table. It could wait for another time though. I had already contacted a real estate agent to help put my apartment up for sale. All I had to do for now was to have my belongings removed.

Alfred had set up a bedroom for me back at Wayne Manor, ensuring that I had everything that I needed. It felt strange being in another room, especially one that was across the hallway from Bruce. I could sleep peacefully though, and I didn't have to worry about someone interrupting me or causing me harm. As I sat putting on my makeup, I leant forward to the mirror and examined the small bruise on my head. It was getting better, but it was still sore. Every time I looked at it, I couldn't get Carmen out of my mind. Luckily, he hadn't hurt me anymore than what he already did. I didn't want to think about what he could have done. It hurt to think of, and I was grateful that I had someone like Bruce in my life to help me pick up the pieces. I was feeling a lot of emotions, and I haven't had the time to really sit and think about how I truly felt. The whole thing just stressed me out honestly, and because of that, I pushed it to the back of my mind.

When I was finally ready to go, we left and made the journey in Bruce's car. We didn't talk much for the journey, but my knee was shaking a little and it seemed to catch his eye.

"Are you okay?" He asked, glancing at me as he drove.

"I'm fine," I replied, keeping my eyes onto the streets through the window. There was children playing, kicking around tatty footballs, homeless living on scraps from the garbage cans, and gangs on corners. This was no place for anyone to live and my thoughts drifted off about living elsewhere. Did I imagine my future with Bruce? Of course I did. He had been my first love. He had been my first everything. I imagined a peaceful, happy life, one that included Alfred, perhaps a home on the beach, or in the countryside? Away from all the problems.

"Do you ever think about just packing up and leaving?" I asked, and Bruce turned to face me. He seemed confused by my questions, but shrugged.

"Sometimes," he replied. "Why, do you want to leave?" It sounded as if for a second, he'd jump at the idea of us moving away together. It was like he was going to suggest it even, but didn't.

"I just think it might be easier sometimes," I said quietly, leaning my head back against the seat. He didn't say anything else, but I knew he was in deep thought for the rest of the car ride.

When we got to my apartment, it didn't shock me that there was paparazzi outside, waiting for me as if I was their prey. They clearly wanted all of the details as to what was going on. Bruce pulled up and they must have recognised his car because they were immediately crowding us. Bruce reached over and placed his hand onto my knee.

"We don't have to do this if you don't want to." He said.

I took a deep breath and smiled. "It's okay."

When he removed his hand, he got out of the car and made his way to the passenger side. The cameras were flashing as he opened my door. I immediately dropped my head and took his hand. He was probably surprised that I did, but there was a lot of people around us and I felt safe being close to him. They were shouting all sorts of questions. Isabella, how are you feeling after everything? Are you going to move out? Are you both back together? We obviously didn't answer anything and when we entered the apartment block, it was a breath of fresh air. The silence was so loud, but necessary after the zoo that was outside. Bruce held my hand through it all, and his hand still rested in mine.