Chapter Twenty

When I woke up the next morning, all I felt was an incredible warmth and I didn't want to move. I was lying on my side and I glanced down to see Bruce's arm over my waist. He was softly snoring behind me and he looked so peaceful that I didn't want to disturb him. He evidently needed the sleep. There was no way to describe how I felt when I was around him. No words could describe it, and there was nothing that was going to stop me from falling in love with him all over again. The love never left, but it was as if I was falling in love with him all over again. I knew he was the one and he was brought into my life as a blessing. That I was sure of.

I could have spent all morning in his arms, but I had a business meeting regarding my work at the city's children's hospice. I managed to slip out of his arms without waking him and make my way downstairs. Not to my surprise, Alfred was sitting at the kitchen table reading a newspaper. When he noticed me, he placed it down and smiled.

"Good morning, did you sleep well?" He asked, and I made my way over to the coffee machine.

"I did thank you. Did you?"

"Out like a light," he commented. "Have you seen Bruce this morning?"

"Yes, he's still sleeping. Think he needs it."

"He's been working a lot recently," Alfred said with disappointment as I sat at the table opposite him, my hands wrapped around the warm mug of coffee.

"I'm guessing he's still trying to find Mr Nashton?"

"Yes and he's not going to give up until he does."

I hated that I was the reason for causing him to work more. I had done the best I could to put it behind me, but Bruce evidently had reason to worry. Don't get me wrong, I was worried too, but I knew I couldn't do anything aside from take each day as it comes.

"I really wish he would. Nothing has happened recently and it's been like a breath of fresh air," I explained. "I felt like every day there was always something and now...I guess it's just nice being back here. I feel like I'm getting my life back."

"I'm glad that you are happy here. How have you both been? I've noticed you've gotten closer each day."

"It's going to be a while before we get to where we used to be, but we're taking things very slowly and I'm enjoying that. It's like getting to know him all over again. Is that silly?"

"Not at all. You both deserve happiness. You both deserve to be happy together. I just hope that Bruce's work doesn't get in the way again."

I hoped for the same, although I couldn't see it happening again. Bruce knew I wouldn't stand for it again, and he'd be ridiculous to ruin anything we had again. This was his second chance, and I wouldn't give him another.

"Alfred, can I ask you something?"

"Anything," he said giving me his full attention.

"Do you think you could maybe reach me some self-defence?" I asked and he leant back in his chair with shock.

"Do you not feel protected here?"

"Of course I do, but I think it would be good to know how to protect myself. I can't always have someone around to keep me safe and after everything that's happened, I'd just feel more comfortable knowing I could handle myself a little more."

"Well, of course I'd be willing to help you. Can I ask why you haven't asked Bruce though? I'm sure he's got some better moves than I have."

"I wanted to just keep this between us honestly. I wouldn't want to hurt him. He might think I don't feel safe around him and I'd rather not put that thought in his head when it isn't true."