Chapter Nineteen

Today was the day of my fathers funeral, and despite the circumstances, I was still attending. I at least wanted to pay my respects to the man that had raised me. Our relationship hadn't always been perfect, but there was a time when it was good. When I was little, I remember being happy, especially around my father. I guess as I grew up, we drifted apart because of his work and unfortunately we were never able to put the broken pieces back together again. Hopefully, he'd find peace wherever he was and he'd be away from trouble. Thinking about it, did bring a tear to my eye and I did try to fight it as I tied my hair up into a high ponytail while looking into the mirror. There was a knock on the door and I wiped my eyes quickly looking over to see Bruce standing in the doorway wearing a smart suit.

"Are you okay?" He asked, looking concerned after noticing me cry. I nodded slipping on my coat as he walked over to me. He placed his hand onto my arm. "We don't have to go if you don't want to."

"No, I want to go. I know we had a complicated relationship, but he was still my father. I think it's right to at least pay my respect."

"It's good of you to want to do that. Not everyone would."

Whether he deserved it or not was another question, but I wanted to try and put it all behind me. Bruce nodded with understanding and took my hand as we left the room and made our way downstairs. Alfred greeted us and we all got into Bruce's car so that he could drive to the cemetery.  It was a dark and dull day, and so far, it hadn't stopped raining. These past few days had been quiet. Bruce had done some work looking into Mr Nashton, but everything led to nothing. It was as if Mr Nashton didn't even exist. I know he was awake into the early morning trying to find a lead, and I wanted to tell him to leave it alone, but we weren't actually back together yet, so I didn't feel like it was my place to say. No one had heard anything at all and so far, it seemed like Mr Nashton was keeping his word. It appeared that my father was poisoned after all, which wasn't a surprise. The motive, however, was still unknown.

When we finally arrived at the cemetery, it seemed that people were surprised to see me. Only the occasional person spoke to me sending their condolences. Bruce held an umbrella over us as the rain poured, and I put my hands into my coat pockets leaning closer into Bruce's taller frame. As the funeral commenced, my mother was balling, and I couldn't help but feel a little guilty. I never had a close relationship with her, but I wanted to reach out and at least show her I was there, and so I extended my hand to hers. She looked up at me surprised and took hold of my hand, squeezing it gently as if she was trying to say thank you. I know she and my father did love each other, and so I understand how she must have felt. If I had lost Bruce, I'd be a mess. When Bruce lost his parents, I know how much it hurt him and I didn't like to see anyone hurting. When it was time for everyone to place flowers on his casket, she let go of my hand and I moved closer to Bruce again. He too seemed sad and I knew it was because it brought back memories from his parents funeral. He tried to hide it though for me and I loved him for that. In the distance I noticed paparazzi taking photos and I knew the camera was on us, but I didn't move. My feet stayed firmly where they were.

Eventually, it was over and my father had finally been laid to rest. Despite it not being my job, I thanked people for attending and waited for the place to clear before I took my leave. As I was wearing a dress, my bare legs were becoming cold from the rain and my heels were started to ache from standing on an uneven flooring that had been placed over the grass for us to walk on.

"Ready to go?" Bruce questioned as I started walking away from the couple I had just finished talking to. I linked my arm with his.

"Yes, let's go."

Just as we were about to leave, my mother shouted my name. I stopped and turned to see her rushing over to me.

"Do you mind if I steal her for a minute?" She asked, smiling at Bruce.