Chapter Seventeen

When I woke up the next morning I was feeling a lot better than I was the night before. Despite struggling to sleep and having nightmares if I did, I managed to at least relax. I was grateful that I had been left to my own peace, but I knew I couldn't lock myself in the room forever. The weather outside seemed to be nice so I decided that I would go for a run around the house. It was on its own grounds so I didn't see why there would be a problem. The place was flooded with security, and even if I wanted to escape, I couldn't have.

Taking a deep breath, I opened the bedroom door and made my way downstairs. As I approached near the bottom, my father appeared to be standing in the hallway in deep conversation with one of his security. He was smoking a cigarette and when he noticed me, he raised his eyebrows and smiled as he removed the cigarette from between his lips.

"Isabella," he greeted. "I hope that you're settling in well." I didn't answer him, but I didn't think that it was a question yet it appeared that he was waiting for my answer.

"Well, I didn't come here by choice, did I? So not really," I muttered, and his smile disappeared. The security nodded to him and left us alone. My father stepped towards me slowly and continued to smoke.

"Isabella, I understand you don't want to be here, but I'm doing what I can to protect you. You don't have to hide away."

"I'm a prisoner here. You won't even let me have my phone to call Bruce."

"I'm doing it for you. To keep you safe."

"Oh how stupid do you think I am? You're doing this because if it gets out it will make you look bad as Mayor." I yelled but in a slight whisper as I wasn't sure if anyone else knew.

He went to respond, but before he could the butler interrupted us to tell him that his guest had arrived. My father instructed him to bring the guest through.

"Who is the guest?" I asked curiously and I slipped my hand into my jacket pocket, placing my hand onto the small phone I had from Bruce, debating whether I needed to press it or not so he could hear. I knew he'd be listening if I did.

My father, however, ignored my question and a grin appeared on his face as a figure approached from down the hallway. The guest didn't look like my fathers usual company. He had brown hair that fell just above his ears and through his glasses, were the darkest of eyes, or at least that's how they appeared. His gaze met mine instantly and I felt an immediate threat.

"Ah, Mr Nashton, you're here. Shall we talk in my office?" My father said gesturing to the guest to follow him.

Instead, the man who was now named as Mr Nashton, kept his gaze on me and I felt that uncomfortable I couldn't even press on the button in my pocket. I couldn't move. It was as if this man was looking straight into my soul, and even like he was reading my mind. My father was in his own world instructing the butler to get them some alcohol. Mr Nashton stepped slowly towards me and the hairs on my arm stood. I wanted to step backwards, but my feet wouldn't move. He was inches away from me and when he was directly in front of me, he stopped and leant closer.

"Don't worry, Isabella," he whispered. "I promise that regardless of what happens, your secret is safe with me."

My heart dropped. He was the witness. I felt this overwhelming sense of dread, but he didn't look like the sort to cause harm. Was my mind playing tricks? Did I hear him right?

He pulled away from me, smiled coldly and straightened his glasses before following after my father. I didn't move as I watched him disappear down the hallway. All I knew was a name, and a physical appearance, one that I couldn't give to Bruce right now.

"Ms Montez, are you okay?" A man asked, and I turned to see the butler with a concerning look.

"Yes, thank you. I'm fine," I lied. "I'm going to go for a run around the grounds."

Luckily, he didn't question it and actually showed me to the doors at the back. As soon as I was outside, I started to jog slowly. The grounds were not as beautiful as the ones at Wayne Manor. There were no flowers, and only hedges, weeds and trees that appeared to look droopy. The fountain in the centre of the grass had also been emptied, and it was left with nothing but weeds and ivy that grew around it. It made me miss Wayne Manor; my home. Back there I wouldn't have had security following my every move. It was only after a while that I had noticed two of them following closely behind me and I stopped, turning to face them.

"Can I seriously just jog without you following me?" I asked throwing my hands up in frustration.

"I'm sorry, Ms Montez. Just following your fathers orders," one of them said shrugging.

"Of course you are," I replied as I rolled my eyes.

"With all due respect, Ms Montez," one began. "We think you're a really nice girl. We're just doing our jobs.  We aren't the bad guys. We'd love to leave you in peace, but your father has rules and he isn't exactly the nicest when you break one of them rules."

"That sounds about right."

I started jogging again. As I did, I tried to forget about the security behind me and instead, I thought about Mr Nashton. The man who was turning my life upside down. I just hoped he'd get the money off my father and leave, but I couldn't stop thinking about his words.

I promise that regardless of what happens, your secret is safe with me.

What did he mean, regardless of what happens? Was he planning something? Did he mean it when he said he'd keep me secret? There were so many questions floating around in my head and even in the fresh air, I couldn't think straight. I must have been jogging for a good thirty minutes and I decided that I was finished so I started to make my way back inside. It was when I was walking back that I heard it. The piercing scream that was coming from my mothers mouth. I stopped immediately. She was standing on the stairs screaming and her hands were flying around frantically. The security guards started running over and pulled her back inside. I was in shock, and my heart started beating so fast that I thought I was going to faint. What now? What else could have possibly happened? One of the security guards gripped my arm and started pulling me inside with him, I assume to ensure that he could keep me safe so I didn't fight against it. When we got inside, my mother rushed over to me in floods of tears.

"Isabella, what am I going to do? Your father..."she yelled hysterically. "Your father..." she was so inconsolable that her body fell into mine and I caught her, pulling her back onto her feet. The maids between us also took hold of her, and as they did, I stepped to the side and moved down the hallway towards my fathers office.

"Ms Montez, you don't want to see this," a security guard warned, but I ignored him. As I peered around the security that were now swarming through the doors, I saw him. My father on the ground with blood dripping from his mouth and nose. His blue eyes still wide and his skin almost purple. He was dead, and there was no saving him. On his chest was a small card that stood up. On the card it said 'payment received. Your secret is safe with me. Now, go and be free.'

With the chaos erupting around me, all I could do was stand there hopelessly not know what to do. What I did do, was reach into my pocket and press the button I had been wanting to press all morning. Bruce would be able to hear the chaos and I didn't want to be away from him any longer.

Was the man that had witnessed me a killer himself?

To be continued...
______________

So...I guess now you know who the witness is. Let me know your thoughts? Anyone have any predictions on where this might be going? What might happen to Isabella now?

I know it's a bit of a short chapter but felt it needed it's own little part. Next chapter should be up soon.

Much love to all!