Chapter Eleven

(Bruce's POV)

There was no other way. I had to do this. I planned to put the blame onto someone else, and that someone else was Dean O'Reed. One of Carmen's right hand man and someone I had been watching for months. He tormented his family, laughed at those that had less than him and tortured people for the fun of it. The GCPD had recently done a raid on one of his warehouses and had found ten young girls being made to work as slaves. He deserved it, and that's why I didn't feel bad about it. If Carmen was down, then he could take some of his team with him.

I was able to hack into Carmen's phone and send a text to Dean asking him to come to Isabella's apartment. I knew that Dean would do anything at the snap of Carmen's fingers. See, I paid attention. Not to my surprise, Dean text back to say he was on his way and after ten minutes he had arrived bursting through the door as if he was the one that owned the place. I stayed on the balcony, hiding in the shadows until it was time to strike.

"Carmen," Dean shouted slamming the door shut behind him. He had a gun on his hip, and I was preparing myself for a fight. "Where are you both?" He made his way to the bedroom where Carmen's body still lay, and when he opened the door, he had the shock of his life. "Carmen," he muttered to himself heading into the room.

I made my way inside and watched sneakily as he knelt near Carmen, pressing his fingers against his neck. It was quite clear he was dead. Then, he picked up the knife from the ground and examined the blood. I had already removed the glass shard that had actually done the damage. I took a deep breath and reminded myself that I was doing this for Isabella, before stepping into the doorway. Dean stood up immediately and took out his gun, pointing it at me.

"What the hell happened here?" He questioned, but I just ignored him and stepped closer. "Tell me what happened!" Again, I stepped forward and he pulled his trigger sending a bullet flying past me which I managed to dodge. I gripped his arm causing him to drop the gun into the blood on the floor and he attempted to punch me with his other hand, but my reflex was too fast and I stopped it. He put up a good fight, but it wasn't good enough and he ended up in bat-cuffs. He was furious and continuously shouting, but I blocked it out and called the police.

As usual, Jim was the first one on the scene with the rest of his officers. I told him that I had seen Dean commit the crime, and that they were having a dispute over business, that Dean appeared jealous of Carmen which gave him the instinct to kill him. I said that I had tried to do everything I could to prevent it. Jim believed me, one because he trusted me as the bat and two, because it was a believable story. In regards to Isabella's blood in the room and anything that could have pointed towards Isabella being here, I had shut it down. With my word, Jim didn't need to waste forensic resources on a case that to him was basically solved. It took everything in me to lie, but it was the only way. I could have hid Carmen's bod, maybe people would have assumed that he'd have left Gotham, but they'd always question his return and I couldn't have that lingering over Isabella's shoulders. Gotham at least needed to know that Carmen Bianchi was gone and was not coming back.

"I didn't do this," Dean cried as he was dragged away in handcuffs. "I'm being set up by this freak. I swear I didn't."

"Just like you swore you didn't have any knowledge of those young girls locked up in your warehouses, sure," an officer spat.

Dean looked at me directly. "You'll pay for this. When I'm out, I'll come for you." He didn't threaten me, and I hoped that he'd be put away for a long enough time that I'd never have to deal with him again.