P R O L O U G E

Bravery

T H I R D   P E R S O N   P O V :

9 years ago

How do you even begin to say goodbye?

Valerius Armani is the only person that has ever protected little Eleonora.

He wipes her tears when she's sad. He tucks her into bed every night. He plays dolls with her even though she has told him he sucks at it. He wipes the chocolate milk off of her chin every morning because somehow, she spills it every time. He buys her two flowers every morning from a store in town. He lets her have chocolate any time of the day just because it's her favorite food.

He taught her to swim, ride a bike, wash her hair, talk two languages, how to tie her shoes, how to be brave. He taught her how to live.

She taught him how to smile, laugh, how to see the world's natural beauty.

They brought each other to life.

So, how the fuck do you say goodbye?

"Shit! Stop kicking me!"

William Guidi is a spy. First accepted into the Italian mafia, leaving to work as a spy for Ivan Moscow for double pay. That soon turned to hell when Bianca Armani shot Ivan and became the new ruler to the Russian mafia.

"Little—," Eleonora sent a hard kick strait to his misshapen balls. "Devil!" William screeches. He grabs ahold of her tightly, she fights his every move.

It's safe to say Eleonora is confused. Her nonna took her papà. She's left with a stranger that keeps hurting her. She wants her papà back.

She reminds herself of the words her papà tells her when she's scared.

Be brave.

A gunshot halts Ellie's thrashing. She screams and William is quick to cover her mouth.

"That'll shut you up, eh?"

Ellie's body is frozen, petrified. She stops screaming. The bang of the gun was enough to stop her movements. She suddenly wants to fade deep down into existence.

She looks around for her papà. Maybe he'll come back to save her? He promised he'll always find her. He'll come back. Right?

William is stuck in a big dilemma. His duty is to take the girl back to base so Bianca can kill her herself. But.. it seems Bianca called her soldiers to leave so the Armani family doesn't come back to find them at the Don's home.

Bianca Armani forgot that William stands inside, now alone, with the one piece of leverage she needs more than anything.

Eleonora Valarie Armani.

Ellie is trapped against William's chest while he's distracted on his phone, trying to figure out a way to escape with the girl.

Suddenly, a noise makes Ellie snap her head to the doorway. A flash of a figure makes her nerves skyrocket. Papà? She thinks.