C H A P T E R - F O U R T E E N

Tragic

E L E O N O R A ' S    P O V :

Life is hard. People argue. Things don't always go the way you planned but in the end, you make up and you give it another chance.

Blueberry jam wafts through the air, waking me out of my deep sleep. I turn to grab my phone and sitting there is an entire bouquet of pink carnations and white tulips. Inside is a card that carries papà's apologies. He's already made it clear he was out of line but this just further proves his guilt.

Sometimes, I have to remind myself that we all make mistakes, even parents. Although, I don't think papà would ever agree with that statement.

I skip downstairs, hugging my sweater closer to my body. A fuzzy ball of fur rubs against me and I pick her up. Flower snuggles in my arms, cozy.

She's gotten a little bigger now. It's cute.

I find papà in the kitchen cooking. Yesterday, we had a very long conversation that papà used to apologize to me. He told me it was his fault that he blew up. That Katerina is a sore subject for him and he should have done better with controlling his anger. He said he'll think about seeing someone for help and I'm glad. Although, I don't think he will ever do it.

I'm proud of my dad. I am. I don't know everything but I know he's been through a lot. I know he wasn't expecting to be a parent nor did he plan it.

I remember, when I was little, how hard he tried. Valerius Armani was a cold man. He hated everyone. Then I came into his life, a child. He had to change the way he saw everything, for me.

So, I'm not mad anymore. Sure, I was in the moment but now, I don't care. My papà was hurt by a lot of women in his life, he's just trying to survive the world like I am.

"Buongiorno, piccolina." Good morning, little one.

I can't help but smile.

"Buongiorno." I mumble back and cozy into a chair while I watch papà cook. "So, what's for breakfast?"

The pan sizzles as oil is sprayed inside. "Baked eggs and sausage." I decide to get up and grab us drinks. Papà wants a black coffee while I go for some juice.

"Sounds good." I grab plates. "New flowers?"

"Of course."

I smile subconsciously, eyeing the new flowers. Papà picks up different kinds each day. It's rare I see a repeat. Together, they make a beautiful bouquet.

"So, what are the plans for today?" Inhaling the savory scent of eggs and sausage, my mouth waters.

"Well, I've got somewhere to go today."

Papà doesn't meet my eyes, making me suspicious. "Really? Where to?" I blow on my food to cool it down.

"Just out to lunch. A café down in town."

"With who..?"

I have a sneaky suspicion who with but I'd like to hear him confirm.