C H A P T E R - T H R E E

Love and Patience

V A L E R I U S '   P O V :

My daughter is alive.

I've spent five fucking years believing my mamma was holding her hostage for my life. I had to be her servant for five fucking years just to figure out she had killed my daughter in cold blood when my family came for me.

I woke up paralyzed. And for two years I spent everyday learning how to walk again. I spent everyday since that morning wishing I would have just stayed in a coma. Wishing that I would have never woken up.

I've been grieving my daughter since the day I was taken from her and throughout all this time.. she has been alive.

Fury would be an understatement, anger can't even describe what I'm feeling.

I want to kill. I want blood drenched on my hands. I want to punish everyone who started this. I want revenge for what was taken from me.

My daughter deserved a good life. Mamma took that all away from her.

I want bloodshed but they're already dead.

"How is this possible." Papà rasps out, the pain of his words clear.

I pick up my phone and ring my closest guard.

"Leon." I say into the phone, wipe all of my emotion out of the way. "Send guards the the old house. I need every square inch searched. Send people into the city. Check everywhere."

"For what, Don?" I hear clicking in the background, he's already sending out my order.

"For Ellie." I lick my dry lips. "Hoodie, black pants. Long hair, tied up. Fifteen-years-old. Don't scare her, don't touch her. Just find her."

"Yes, Don. Sending them out now."

I hang up the phone, not sure what to do with myself. How can I help? How can I find her? I feel like I'm not doing enough.

"Why didn't she come to you?" Enzo asks me but I have no answer for him.

Why didn't she come to me?

Maybe she doesn't want to see me. Maybe she blames me. I am to blame. I left her. I broke my promise to her.

"I think she's j..just scared." Savino offers. "She's just a teenager. Maybe she doesn't know how to approach you."

"He's right." Fabio chimes in. "Give her time. She'll come to you. If she doesn't.. we'll find her."

I don't want time. All I've had is time.

I want my daughter to come home.

• • •

"Valerius." Rosie greets me when I walk into the flower shop.

It's early morning, they've just opened. It's seven o'clock. I come here every morning like clockwork.