C H A P T E R - S I X

Leverage

V A L E R I U S '    P O V :

"She's been in the bathroom for some time now. Maybe someone should check on her?" Papà tells us. I press my lips together and sigh.

I wish this was easier.

"Give her space." Enzo says, unbothered by his question.

I don't know how to help Ellie. She feels like an outsider in her own family. She's never supposed to feel like that. She's my girl. My baby. She belongs here with us.

"I'm sure this day has been a lot." Lei chimes in with a thoughtful look. "She just might need some time."

Ellie should have never been alone. This should have never happened. This is all my fault.

"Valerius..," the voice is muffled. "Val." I snap out of my trance, looking at Savino.

"Hm?"

"Are you okay?"

No. I barely get a chance to answer before I register a gunshot echoing through my ears. A loud, banging gunshot. I freeze. Just for a moment, I freeze.

Time stops. My heart slams. Thud. Thud. Thud. The ringing hits my ears and my mind takes me back to all the times Ellie was in danger. All the times I've put her in danger. My heart sinks. It feels like I'm losing her all over again. Everyone jumps up but I can't move.

Ellie.

My Ellie.

How could I let this happen again? How did I not realize they were here? Mamma is dead. How is Ellie still in danger?

Through the shouting, I run fast. So fucking fast. I can barely hear, I can't breathe. I need my daughter.

When I reach the bathroom, no one is there.

I see Jackson out of the corner of my eye. "Where is she?" I breathe out. "Where is Ellie?" I ask him, grabbing his shoulders.

A fearful look takes his face. He points up the stairs.

I run up the stairs. My family is running around the house, checking every room. They all scream for her. I find myself running to the third floor, the only place unchecked.

Immediately, I find her. She lays on the ground, her back against the wall. I almost want to be relieved but soon I realize, she's in pain.

"Ellie." My voice is panicked. "Ellie!" I grab her face, checking if she's bleeding anywhere.

"She's crazy!" I hear An from behind me, talking to Fabio. "She tried to kill me!"

"An.. I'm sure you're exaggerating—"

"I'm not!" She yells to her father. She clutches her shoulder hard.

Ellie doesn't answer. Her hands go up to her ears, trying to block something out. Her face in contorted, red. I call out for her again but she just lets out a grunt. Something is hurting her and the scary part is that I don't know what.