F O U R

Trouble, Troublemaker

E L E O N O R A ' S   P O V :

"Go to your room right now, young lady!" Jen's voice wasn't pleasant to listen to. Quite annoying actually. I gaze at her face, seeing her frustration.

"No." I laugh.

She glares, jaw clicking shut.

It's been two months since I've last seen Naomi and Devin. I have no idea where they are. I think about them all the time though. I miss being happy. With them, I felt more like myself than I had in a long time. I was better then.

"I will not tolerate you treating us with such— such disrespect! I have never had a more ungrateful child in my home before!"

I barely acknowledge the tears streaming down Jen's rosy cheeks. I don't understand why she's getting so upset. It's just not that deep.

"I think we should call for a new foster home in the morning." Mark, her husband barely tries to quiet his words.

And although I knew it was coming and that's what I wanted, I still feel a tinge of sadness aching at my chest. I want to be difficult so they just kick me out of foster care and forget about me. I don't want to live with these people.. but yet disappointment still infatuates me when they really do want nothing to do with me by the end of my stay.

"Pack your things, Ellie. You'll be gone tomorrow." Jen says, wiping her glossy tears with a frail tissue.

"Whatever." I shrug, stomping my way upstairs.

I wish I had a phone or some way to get in contact with Devin and Naomi.

I don't know how to.

They could be half way across the state by now.

Who knows.

Within the hour, I'm packed. I leave my small bag on the bed and go out for a walk.

The only thing good about this place is the borough park. The trees are bright green and the swings give a nice view of the sky at night.

It's my favorite thing to do.

Look at the stars.

My eyes somehow find the north star every time. The  biggest star lighting the sky. I hate it when it's cloudy because then I'm left with a boring blank wall to stare at. Good thing the sky is clear tonight.

Voices pick me out of my trance.

Why are there people here in the middle of the night? That's weird.

What looks like a tall man and a boy my age walk closer into my view. I stare off in the distance, ignoring them.

"What's your name, little girl?" I pop my head up at the question.

My eyes roll, my legs continue their swinging. I completely ignore the guy's presence.

"Nasty little girl, aren't you? An attitude like that wont get you far." I don't even understand half of what he's saying because his face is annoying me too much. "Where do you need to go back to?"