T H R E E

Caught Red-Handed

E L E O N O R A ' S    P O V :

"Wake up!" The words are yelled brightly in my ear, making me jump up. My head knocks Devin's and we both touch our foreheads in pain.

"Ouch." I say, disappointment clear in my voice.

"That hurt." He remarks.

"Your fault." I snap back.

Stupid boy.

"We've got to get going." Naomi says, her voice strong. I stare at her.

I shift under the paper-thin blanket me and Devin are sharing. We've found a spot between buildings. It's dark enough that no one and can see in front the streets. Though, there are needles littered everywhere which makes sleeping uncomfortable.

"Why?" Devin asks.

"Because we've already stayed here two days too long. Someone will find us." She says and even though Devin is sad, I agree with Naomi. "We have to find somewhere new."

"Let's flip?" I suggest and Naomi smiles daringly. She nods and I pull the quarter from my back pocket. She snatches it. "Oh come on, you know I play fair!" I exclaim and she laughs, rolling her eyes.

"Whatever." She smirks. "Tails." She says.

"Heads." I agree. Devin sits back at watches.

The ping of the metal against her nail sounds and after the quarter spins, it lands soundly in Naomi's hand. Slowly, she uncovers it.

A wide grin splatters my face. "Yes!"

"Ugh." She pouts.

Ha. I win.

"A bus is coming at that stop across the street and it's going into the city." I say. "We'll go from there."

"Your ideas are always terrible." Naomi comments. "Last time you picked, we stayed the night in a freezing cold Dairy Queen."

I scoff at her eyes rolling. "We got free ice-cream though. It was a win."

"My fingers were blue."

"That sounds like a problem of the past. You've got to start living in the present, Naomi! Life is too short and cops really aren't that hard to run from."

"Very inspirational, thanks." She snaps. I send her a cheeky smile, pulling my black backpack tighter on my back.

"Anytime." My wink is returned with a sneer.

• • •

Uh oh.

This isn't good.

Things are never good. This especially though.

This specifically is the worst outcome today could have brought.

"Put your hands up and walk slowly towards me."

I stare at the police officer. His gun isn't drawn but his hand hovers above it. I'm scared. I don't like this, I don't want to be here.

I do it. My hands tremble above my head as I do.

Be brave.

"What is your name?" The officer asks me. His voice is more gentle as I step into the light.

I hesitate.

I breathe but tears push through my eyes anyway.

Someone called the police on us. I told Naomi and Devin to run. I knew not all three of us could've ran without being caught. So, I gave myself up.