F I V E

Bad Boy

E L E O N O R A ' S P O V :

Happiness strives from the best parts of your life. Your friends, your family, your pets.

Happiness comes to me, in a form of the future. The only thing that seems to bring to to joy nowadays is the thought that one day, I will see my family again. That one day I will see my friends again. That one day I will have a cat or something.

Most people live in the present. My mind though, lives in the future.

And maybe it's toxic, but I can't stop. I don't want to stop. Because if I do, I have nothing to live for.

"Eleonora." My name snaps me out of my dazed state. My teacher stands in front of me. "Do you have your homework that was due today?"

I press my chapstick-coated lips together and shake my head no.

She smiles down at me gently, concern seems to be endearing it's way to me. "Please see me after class, okay?" My eyes just barely droop and I nod.

She walks back and starts to go over the assignment I didn't do. After class, I do make my way to her.

"Eleonora, your work has been slacking these past few weeks." She tells me softly once everyone has left for lunch.

I muster up the energy. "I know."

"What can I do to help you?"

My eyes snap to hers surprisingly. I didn't expect her to want to help me. I was expecting another Saturday detention like Mr. Weaver gave me.

"What?"

"Is it the curriculum? Maybe a change of scenery might help. Do you have a good place at home to do your work?"

Home? Funny.

I bite my lip. "I don't know." My mumbles trail off through the silence.

"Why don't we start a study session after school. Not just for math, let me help you with your work."

Some thickness builds up behind my eyes and I don't know what to do.

When I don't say anything, she fills the silence.

"I know moving to a new school can be hard."

This is the third school this year. It's March.

"But I want you to thrive in school. Education is a great privilege."

I shrug emotionlessly. "Okay."

My foot taps nervously on the ground though. I hope she doesn't notice.

"Why don't you get out your folders and we can eat lunch together?"

My eyes almost go wide.

"Uhm, I don't have my folders with me." I lie. I don't have folders at all.

Mrs. Wilson's eyes seem to frown. "We'll I'm sure I have some extra I can lend you." He smile doesn't reach her eyes.