C H A P T E R - T W E N T Y - O N E

Going Up In Flames

E L E O N O R A ' S    P O V :

Ten years. Ten years since the entire trajectory of my life was shifted on a tilt, my axis turned.

Today is the anniversary of the day my life fell apart. And this is the first time I get to spend it with my papà. It should be a happy day but for some reason, it just feels like I am mourning.

A knock hits my bedroom door.

"Come in."

Papà walks in with a lowly look on his face, my face falls soft. I set the blankets aside from me.

"I just wanted to see how you are, piccolina."

That's a lie. He's checking to make sure I'm still here. To make sure they didn't come back.

"Fine. You?"

"Better now that I'm with you." I smile, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. "So, what do you want to do today?" He sits, hugging me. My head plops to his shoulder.

"Not really anything. I just want today to be normal." Sighing, I let my brain relax. "You should just go to work today and I think I'm going to go hang out with my friends. A normal day."

"A normal day." He repeats. "Okay. That sounds manageable." Papà's warm smile soothes me.

"You'll be home for dinner?"

"I would never leave you alone to cook. We both know you can't do that."

"Hey!" I hit his shoulder, laughing. "Don't be mean!"

"It's just the truth!" He laughs with me.

"Go to work!" I shove papà playfully and he surrenders.

"Okay! Okay. Text me if you need anything, Ellie." His pointed look makes me nod sharply.

"Yes, sir." I salute.

"Alright then. I love you." He tells me with his hand on my doorknob

"I love you." I sing out and he laughs.

Papà leaves for work and I rest my head back, pulling the covers closer to my chest.

A normal day.

• • •

I want to see you today. The text reads. It's Rowan. This is his third text that I've ignored. Not on purpose, just because I want to be alone today. Total solitude.

Clicking off my phone, I set it face down in the grass.

"Well, John. It's been nice." I talk to the ground, staring at the crafted headstone in front of me. "Always a pleasure talking to you." I stand, wiping the dirt from my sweats.

With my heart swelling at the memories clouding my brain, I walk back to the car. Leon is standing in front of the back door, opening it for me to step through. I thank him.

"Any other stops tonight?" He asks.

"No, Leon. Thanks."

"My pleasure." He nods with a playful wink and I smile halfheartedly.

The trees flash by. I watch them pass with ease. Suddenly, I see rain begin to patter the window. I didn't think it was supposed to rain today. Odd.

Papà always tell me rain either means something bad is coming or that you'll have the best day of your life. Two very different things.

I stare at my phone. Rowan is calling me. He must really need to reach me if he's being this persistent.