C H A P T E R - F O U R

The Stars Are on Our Side

E L E O N O R A ' S   P O V :

Holy shit.

After nine long years, I'm in my papà's arms. His embrace is comforting, I need it.

I don't want to move. I never want to let go. It feels like if I pull away, I won't be able to breathe. In his arms, the reality of my situation is gone. In his arms, he's protecting me.

I don't know what to do next. I don't what to say.

"You're so big." Papà tells me softly in Italian. His hands won't leave my face. Tears fall from his eyes.

"Y'know some people would take that offensively." I joke with him, a slight, forced smile lifts my lips. I sniffle back my tears.

He doesn't understand the joke. "My big beautiful girl." Okay. He keeps going. "You have gotten even more beautiful. So tall. So grown up." Papà's voice cracks, his voice sad.

"I could say the same for you."

He lets out a low chuckle.

The rain starts to pick up. My hair is probably complete frizz by now.

"Let's go home, ?"

Home.

Let's go home.

"Yeah." That's all I can muster out.

When he lets go, reality settles back in. Suddenly I'm choked for words. It's like I've been waiting for this moment all my life but never actually thought of what to say. It's been so long. What should we even talk about?

Papà opens the car door for me. I have to move the flowers that fell to my seat. They're both pink and one is kinda odd looking. Why would anyone want a flower that's weird looking? I thought rich people were into roses.

"What are these for?" I stick my face in them.

"For you." Oh. "I told you a long time ago I'd bring you flowers everyday. I still do." Why do I feel like I'm going to cry? Again.

"They're beautiful, thank you." I give him a smile.

The drive home is quiet, kinda awkward. Neither of us speak. You'd think after nine years you would have so much to say but in all honesty, where do you start? There's so many things to discuss, to mention, but I can't get anything out. So, I settle for the slightly awkward silence.

As we reach home the rain starts to get heavier. The sound is making me dreary, I'm already running on no sleep.

I move to get out of the car, opening the door to find papà standing there in front of me with an odd look.

"What are you doing?"

"Getting out of the car..," I raise a brow at him, the rain starts to soak through my clothes. I shut the door with a thud.

"You won't do that anymore." What? "You'll wait for me to open your door."

"I can open my own door." I laugh a little. Walking to the front door by myself seems weird so we're both just standing here in the rain. He clearly doesn't find my tease funny. "What?" My voice gets an octave higher.