C H A P T E R - E I G H T E E N

Some Things Never Change

E L E O N O R A ' S P O V :

"What's burning?"

I cringe back staring at the overly crunchy bacon sitting on the pan in front of me.

"Uh.. nothing!" I shout back, sliding the bacon from the sizzling pan into the trash. The pan stumbled on the stove as I tossed it back.

"Ellie."

I whip around and papà is standing in front of me, arms crossed. His black sweatshirt and pajama pants are out of the ordinary for me to see. He usually prefers dress clothes. Weirdo.

"Heyyyy.. papà." I press my lips together tightly.

He quirks a brow. "What is going on in here?" He points to the hot pan.

It's been almost a week since the charity event. I haven't seen Tommy nor has anyone mentioned the events of that night. I was grounded for days but it was deserved. Even if I didn't like it.

I blow out a breath, defeated. "I was trying to make you breakfast."

"Ellie, baby, you know you can't cook."

"Okay! I know. You didn't have to bring that up!" I pout, crossing my arms. "It's the effort that counts!"

"Thank you, piccolina."

Papà pulls me close, pecking the top of my head.

The pout rests on my face. "Yeah, yeah." Flower jumps into the counter and meows for food. She's getting much bigger. "Happy birthday, papà. I love you." I hug him.

"Thank you, Ellie. I love you so much.. even though you can't cook." He murmurs and we both laugh. I push him playfully and he just messes with the top of my head.

"You're lucky I love you." I snap playfully but papà only chuckles back.

"I am." He replies smoothly.

I can't help but smile. I can't help but feel fulfilled with a love I've gone immeasurable lengths to obtain once again. Everything I'm doing, everything I have to do.. it's all worth it. Family is worth it.

"Here." I hold out a ripped piece of notebook paper, a sheet carrying an address I've written in pencil. "For you."

"For me?" Papà takes the paper, reading it. "What's it for?" He gives me a suspicious glance. He knows me all too well.

I hold in my giggle. "It seems you've been requested for a date." He's going to so kill me. So worth it though. So worth it.

"A date." Although one might take it as a question, the deadpan in his voice made it clear it was definitely not. "Ellie." A blank look meets my wide, cheesy grin.

"What?" I shrug innocently.

"This isn't funny." He waves the piece of paper around in the air.

"Oh, I know. That's why I've picked out the best outfit I could find for you. It's sitting on your bed. Now, time is ticking. Off you go."

I shoo him but he stays still, unmoving.

"Why do you keep pushing this." He flaps the paper.

"Because you keep denying it." I snap back.

"I think I know how to lead my own life, Ellie."

"But do you?" I quirk a brow, leaning my hip to the counter. "Plus, I'm quite fond of Allegra."