Chapter 7

"Alright Chuuya, I want you to tell me if you've met Mori san before?" Dazai asked, squatting in front of Chuuya. They were now back at Dazai's house. 

"I h-haven't" Chuuya replied, staring directly at the ground, shoulders tensed.

He was clearly lying.

"Chuuya—" Dazai started. He grabbed Chuuya by the shoulder, attempting to make the little kid relax a little. That was apparently not the best idea.

Chuuya flinched and recoiled, holding his arms in front of him, protectively. His eyes were wide with terror and he refused to look at Dazai.

"I'm sorry. Don't hit me, please..." he mumbled, his voice cracking .

Dazai was speechless. 

'Hit him? Where did he get that idea from?'

Sure Dazai had told Chuuya that if he doesn't behave, he would hit him but he had NEVER once hit him, no matter what he did. He also always made sure that his words didn't came off sounding like threats but only as small reminders that it would make him unhappy if Chuuya misbehaves. 

Yet, Chuuya was here in front of him, trembling uncontrollably, waiting for Dazai to hit him. Dazai's felt his chest tighten at the state of the boy in front of him.

He pulled Chuuya into a hug, stroking his hair.

"It's okay Chuuya, I'm not mad. You can tell me everything. I promise, I will not get angry" Dazai, whispered in a reassuring manner. It did not help at all. On the contrary, he felt Chuuya shiver. Chuuya buried his face in Dazai's shoulder and Dazai could hear him trying his best to stop crying.

"Chuuya, what's wrong? Why are you crying? Please tell me. If you don't tell me, how am I supposed to help you?"

Chuuya shook his head and hugged Dazai tighter

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I will not cry anymore, please don't hit me" Chuuya said these words in such a broken voice, it shattered Dazai's heart.  

"No, it's okay. You can cry"
"You'll get mad"
"I won't"
"You're lying"
"I'm not"
"Grown ups get angry when kids cry"
"Who told you that?" Chuuya shook his head.

'Damn you, Mori. What the F**k did you tell him?'

"Chuuya, I promise, I will not get angry"

In the end, no matter what Dazai said, Chuuya didn't tell him anything. He just cried silently, hugging Dazai the entire time, thinking Dazai wouldn't realize he was crying if he couldn't see his face.

Dazai never felt more helpless in his life. In the past week, without even realizing, he'd gotten so attached to Chuuya that seeing him in this state almost made him cry too, but he hugged the little boy trying to comfort him in any way possible.

________________________________

The next day (At Mori's Office)

"Dazai kun, these are the details of your mission. As always, I expect you to complete it without fail"

"Understood Boss" Dazai replied, emotion lacking in his voice. The dead look, that had left his face when he left port mafia, was back on his face again.

"You can leave Chuuya kun here to play with Elise chan if you want"

'Like hell I would'

"I appreciate the offer but I have to decline"
"Well then who'd take care of him? I don't think your Agency colleagues are have that much spare time"
"They don't but I have made arrangements. Thank you for your concern" Dazai said and left