Chapter 9

"So chibi, what do you want to do? I'm free for the rest of the day so we can play if you want" Dazai said, surprising himself with the words coming out of his mouth.

'What? No- tf am I saying? I just wanna rest. I wasn't able to yesterday'

Yes, Dazai had returned from the mission the day before, 3a.m. to be precise. He didn't pick Chuuya up from Kouyou san's place cuz he didn't want Chuuya to see him all blood soaked and not the fact that it was no time to be showing up at someone's house, cuz let's be honest, it's Dazai we're talking about.

Chuuya did not pay any attention to what Dazai was saying. He was busy hop-walking on the sidewalk

"Oi chibi, what are you doing?"
"Walking"
"Yeah but why are you hopping?"
"I'm walking"
"No you're hopping"

Dazai noticed the pattern in which little Chuuya was walking. He noticed that Chuu Chuu was avoiding stepping on the white steps and was only stepping on the red ones.

"Why are walking like that?"
"To save you"
"To wha-?"
"If I don't step on the red onsh then sumthwing bad will happen"
"Who on earth told you that?"
"No one"
"The Fuck? You made up that nonsense yourself?"
"Fuck"
"......."

'Fuck'

"O-oi chibi, promise me, you won't say that word ever again. Atleast not in front of Ane san"
"Why?"
"Uhh.... it's a bad word"
"Bad? Like how bad?"
"Uhhh....... ummm... bad people say it"

Chuuya gasped

"But you said it! Dosh it mean you'le a bad pelson?"
"Nooo but- gahhh just don't say it again okay? I didn't mean to say it. I'm not a bad person okay? So uhh..."
"Okie I won't say it. But! You have to pway with me!"
"Of course your majesty! What do you want to play?" Dazai asked, lifting Chuuya on his shoulders.
"Ice pice!"
"It's I spy idiot"
"Horsie! Run to the park!!"
"As you wish your majesty!"

_________________________________________

"Nine. Ten! Alright chibi, you better be hiding well, cuz I'll find you easily" Dazai announced
"You won't find me!" Came a sound from the bushes.

Dazai chuckled at the innocence of the redhead. He started wandering around the area 'searching' for Chuuya, purposely leaving the bushes.

"Oh my, well hidden are we? I guess I have to work hard to find Chuu Chuu"
"I'm not Chuu chuu and you can't find me!"

Dazai pretended to search for Chuuya for 5 minutes straight while Chuuya kept giggling like crazy at Dazai's fake annoyance. He kept giving him hints saying 'I'm here' and 'No, not that way!'

"There you are! Oh my god Chuu chuu, how good are you at this? I almost couldn't find you"
"Ne ne Washte of banwages!! Can I have an ice cream?"
"Sure"

They went to the ice cream parlour and Chuuya got a flavour that according to Dazai Chuuya would love.

'He really liked this back then'

Just as Dazai had said, Chuuya loved it.
Chuuya noticed that Dazai hadn't bought any for himself.

"Hey, awen't you going to eat?"
"Nope"

Chuuya immediately offered his ice cream to Dazai.

"Here, we can share"
"Huh? Ah no- you eat, I'm good"
"No. You eat too. Eating shweets makes you happy so eat"

Dazai patted the little boy's head and took a bite

"Okay now? Is Chuu chuu happy I ate?"
"Yup. Ale you happy? You won't be sad now will you? Pwease smile"
"Huh?" Dazai was taken aback by this sudden comment
"Smile, like tishh" Chuuya grinned widely "See happy happy. Now youl turn"

Dazai smiled but Chuuya shook his head

"Smile like tishhh!!!" He grinned widely again "Maybe you'le not happy enough. I'll give you my whole ice cweam! Smile!!"

But Dazai couldn't. He was not able to understand what Chuuya meant or rather, How did Chuuya realize Dazai was not happy?

"Hey Chuuya why do you think i don't look happy?"
"Becaush you'le sad"
"Yeah but why do you think I'm sad?"
"You alen't happy"
"You have to be more clear dear"
"You look so sad. I heald sweets make you happy! I'll make you lots and lots of shweets so smile! Okie?"

Dazai hugged the little boy tightly. It had been so long since someone actually cared, it felt foreign. But at the same time it felt warm and welcoming.

Dazai didn't realize but slowly, Chuuya was becoming his lifeline. A reason for him to exist in this tainted world and he would do anything to provide him the best childhood he could.

"Say Chuuya, would you like to go to school?"