Chapter 8

"..uya kun"
"Wake up"
"Chuuya kun! Wake up!"

"Mm? Mama...Ohayou" Chuuya sat and rubbed his eyes sleepily.
"Ohayou Chuuya kun. I got a call from Dazai kun. He was saying he'll come pick you up in an hour"

Chuuya's eyes sparkled at the mention of Dazai's name.

"Really?!" He asked happily
"Yes. Go brush your teeth and come to the kitchen for breakfast okay? What would you like to eat? I'll make that"
"No no, anything is fine" Chuuya said and got up to go to the bathroom.
"Okay then"

Chuuya quickly brushed his teeth and went down to the kitchen.

"Chuuya, come sit dear" Kouyou said and served him his food, the traditional breakfast that has tamagoyaki, Miso soup, sausages, pickled plums and natto.

She sat opposite to him and watched him quietly eat his food.

"Do you like the food Chuuya kun?"
"Yup! It's yummy"
"Everything?"
"Yup!"
"The natto?"
"I like it!"
"Oh....wow" kouyou mumbled as Chuuya ate everything without complaints. She was pretty nervous that Chuuya wouldn't like the food but he was eating it all without complaints.

Watching Chuuya eat his meal with appreciation made her remember about the day Chuuya had officially joined the port mafia.

He didn't have money at that time and was too prideful to admit that he hadn't eaten properly for days. So when Kouyou and the others had invited him to dinner, he ate the food with so much gratefulness that everyone just watched him. His smile in the end was priceless.

Now that she think about it, Chuuya always appreciated the smallest things in life. This made her notice how Dazai and Chuuya had such different views on life.

On one hand, Dazai found no meaning in life and wanted to die a peaceful death whereas Chuuya, he appreciated the very fact that he was alive. Maybe because of the fact that he isn't entirely human, even the smallest things make him happy to remember that he has more humanity than half of the people here.

She wouldn't lie, she has noticed how Dazai's eyes had a different kind of light these days. It was like..... they had life now.

"Mama" Chuuya said, bringing Kouyou out of her thoughts. He had finished eating and was standing near the sink, holding the dishes.

Apparently he was too short to reach the sink so he could not put his dishes in it.

Kouyou got up and took his dishes from him and put them in the sink. The doorbell rang and they knew who it was.

Chuuya excitedly ran towards the door, pulling Kouyou with him to open the door, cause again, he was too short to reach the handle.

Chuuya jumped on the person outside as soon as Kouyou opened the door.

"Oi chibi, missed me that much?"
"Yay!! Washte of banwages is back!!!"

Dazai ruffled Chuuya's hair and gave him a big smile. He then turned towards Kouyou and bowed politely.

"Arigatou Ane san, I'll take care of him now. Here are some mochi for you" he said and handed her a small box.

"Why thank you, Dazai kun"
"Ne ne Washte of banwages!! We made something for you!" Chuuya said and looked at Kouyou who handed him the small packet. He handed the packet to Dazai, grinning from ear to ear.

Dazai opened the packet, and took out a cookie.

"Woah! Is that me? Who drew that? That looks amazing!"

"I drew it!!" Chuuya said proudly

"Actually Chuuya kun made the cookies too" Kouyou told Dazai

"Really? That's amazing! I need to learn to cook otherwise Chibi will beat me at making yummy treats, won't you?"
"Yup. If you want, I will teach you how to make cookies!!"
"Well then let's make some in the evening, captain" He said and picked Chuuya up in his arms "Alright shortie, say bye bye to ane san, we're going back now"
"Okay. Byee byee" Chuuya waved goodbye to Kouyou and they left,Chuuya telling Dazai about how he spent his day and Dazai listening attentively.

Kouyou watched the interaction between them. Seeing Dazai so lively was odd but it made her really happy at the same time

'I hope Chuuya remains a kid until he fully teaches Dazai about the beauty of life'