Chapter 10

Previously

"Say Chuuya, would you like to go to school?"

__________________________

"What's shhcool?"
"It's a building where kids your age go and learn new stuff, play together"
"Iz it fun?"
"Yup. It's very fun"
"Iz it expenshwive?"
"It's 'expensive' and you don't have to worry about that. You're too chibi to be worrying about money. So you want to go?"
".............. okay"
"Alright, I'll find a good school for you. Let's go back to the agency"

__________________________

"You want to send Chuuya kun to school?" Atsushi asked, thinking he misheard Dazai

"Yes, and I need you to find a good one for him"
"And how are you going to pay for it?" Kunikida asked
"Out of my pocket"
"That's not a very rational decision Dazai, he's only going to remain as a child for a short while, until we find the ability user that is. You'll be wasting a lot of money"

"I know. But there's also a chance we won't find him and Chuuya remains stuck like this forever. Will you still suggest that he remains uneducated solely because we might find the ability user in a couple of years?"

"Well then" Kunikida started sternly, placing his hands of his hips "How will you manage to pay out of pocket? He would need books, uniform, a bag. Apart from that you'd have to give heaps of admission fee and tuition fee. How are you going to cover all that with your salary?"

"Working part time in port mafia"

Silence followed these words.

"Are you serious? Dazai, do you realize what you're saying?" Kunikida said, breaking the suffocating tension.
"I do. In fact, I have accepted their offer to work with them temporarily"
"You WHAT?! IS THIS WHY YOU WEREN'T HERE YESTERDAY?"
"Yup"
"You're seriously gonna become a criminal? AGAIN??"
"Hmn"
"If you do that, I'm keeping Nakahara kun with me. I don't mean to be rude but Dazai a child should not live with a criminal. Think about Nakahara atleast"
"I am thinking about Chuuya! Geez Kunikida kun doesn't have faith in me at all. I'm hurt"
"Listen here you—"
"If you keep on opposing the idea, I won't do my part of the work anymore" Dazai pouted
"You never do it in the first place! Atsushi is the one who does it for you" Kunikida pointed out
"Kunikida kun is so mean~~"

"Dazai.." Kunikida said, gaining his serious composure back "Are you serious about it?"
"Hmm"
"What about the Agency? Does president know about this?"
"I'll be working at both the jobs. I've talked about it with President and he has no problems"
"Moron, you can't manage one job, how would you manage two?"
"I'd have to manage. I don't have any other option. I mean suicide is always an option and I honestly would love to do a painless, beautiful, double suicide with a beautiful woman than work on two jobs but—"

Something tugged at Dazai's coat. Dazai looked down and saw little Chuuya looking very confused.

"Washte of bangwages, what's shuicide?"
"You're too young to know about that dear"
"I'm a big boy! Twel me what it meansh"
"Nope~~"
"What's climinal then?"
"Uhh..... A person"
"Then I'm a climinal too? What about Ranpo nii san, Atsushii nii san?" Chuuya asked innocently.

Dazai did not know what to say. Chuuya was an ex-criminal, but him asking the question so innocently, not even knowing the meaning of the word, made everyone quiet. Of course they can't tell him that  he was a criminal. What if he learns about the meaning later? It would totally crush him.

Dazai crouched down to Chuuya's level. Taking a deep breath, he said

"No idiot, you're not a criminal"
"HUUH?? But I'm a pulshon"
"It's 'person' and not every person is a criminal" 
"Then what kind of pershon is a climinal?"
"I'll tell you when you're old enough"

Chuuya pouted. He extended his pinky towards Dazai

"Pwomish?"
"Yes, yes I promise" Dazai said, intertwining his pinky finger with Chuuya's

  He then told Chuuya to play with Ranpo and Atsushi while he was working. The three 'kids' of the Agency spent the whole day playing UNO and reading picture books, that president had specially bought for him. 

Later in the evening, after working hours were over, Both Chuuya and Dazai waved goodbye to their fellow coworkers/ older siblings and went back home

_________________________

"Alright Chibiko, here you go, paper and crayons and snacks. I'm going to clean up a bit so I need you to be quiet" Dazai said, placing the items in front of Chuuya
"Okie"

Chuuya started doodling on the paper, while Dazai washed the clothes, did the dishes, prepared dinner, fed Chuuya, cleaned the room.

"Ne ne washte of bandages!" Chuuya said happily, entering the bedroom to show Dazai his drawing. "Arre?"

Dazai, exhausted from working and lack of sleep, was now passed out on the futon he had just set. Chuuya walked upto Dazai and placed his drawing on the floor right above Dazai's head. He then crawled in the futon and shuffled closer to Dazai, hugging the tired adult. Dazai unconsciously pulled the little kid closer, as if he were protecting him. Chuuya buried his face in Dazai's chest, almost as if Dazai would disappear if he let go

"You're not a criminal. Please don't ever say about leaving us again"