When your not looking

Soph immediately sits up in bed and reads the message 100x over. This is what she had been manifesting all day wasn't it? She wanted him to get in touch? She didn't really want to leave things how they had, that's why she was thinking about it so much wasn't it? She looks at mae fast asleep in her next to me crib. She felt that guilt again, how could she share what little time she had with mae with someone else? As much as she was liked jack, was this really the best time? How did he fit in with mae in the long run, did he want that responsibility, should she have to be his responsibility? She locks her phone and places it back on her dresser screen down. It wasn't just her anymore, she needed to think about this.
__________________

Saturday morning jack made it on time to the coach by the skin of his teeth, stones and Phil already sat at the back sharing TikToks and laughing. He was a little gutted that he'd been subbed this match, it was a Manchester derby and he really wanted to start. Phil and stones however, had been picked for the starting line up, and as happy as he was for them his heart actually ached that all 3 of them might not be on the pitch at the same time.
'Here he is jacky lad, we were starting to think you'd been chained to a radiator or something' stone shouts as he walks up the coach.
Jack try's to hide his other heart ache and puts on a smile, 'not this time boys' he winks and sits down next to stones.
Stones looks down at jacks phone and nudges jacks shoulder with his 'so .. did ya ask her?' His face lit up awaiting good news from his encouragement.
'Yeah' he felt that ache again, he saw that she'd read it but she'd ignored him
Stones still looking hopeful despite what jacks face was telling him 'and....'
'She ignored me mate, completely ghosted the message' he whispered back, he couldn't say it out loud
'What this jacks been ghosted?, Walkers head popping over the head rest from in front and saying it loud enough for everyone to hear. Stones shaking his head in response and signaling his hand in front of his throat as a sign to shut up but he doesn't 'you lost your touch daft lad?'
'Nah fook this I'm moving' he gets up to move down the front of the coach.
'Sit down please jack we are leaving now' pep shouts as the coach pulls off and heads for old Trafford.
He slumps back down in his seat and puts his headphones in but he can hear stones filling Walker and Phil in on the situation. He closes his eyes and tries to ignore it as he plays place your hands by reef remembering dancing away with Soph.
________________________

Adas settling mae down as Soph comes in from work. She hated Saturday morning shifts the most, she only works till 12.30 but she feels like it really fucks her day up. 'Cuppa?' Ada asks, she looked at Soph who was completely absent in her own thoughts.
Wobbling her head to come back into reality 'that sounds great, thank you ada' she says as smile lightly forms on her face.
They settle down at the kitchen work top with their cups of teas and the biscuit barrel, 'do you want to talk about it' ada ask lifting her tea to her lips.
'I'm not sure I can' she snaps a rich tea biscuit is half so she can dip it in her mug 'it all will sound so bad out loud'
Ada looks at her, she's always seen Soph as a sister rather than her employer 'Soph you know whatever it is I won't gudge you' she places her hand on sophs 'but you need to hurry up because miss cranky pants won't stay asleep for long'
Soph smiles at ada 'your right' she takes a deep breath 'do you think it's possible to have a relationship with someone when you have a baby?'
Tilting her head to the side thinking 'thats a very outdated way of looking at things I think' she straightens her head back up and swipes the biscuit crumbs off her jeans 'in all honesty, if that's the place your at why not. They always say you find love when your not looking don't they? Would you regret not seeing where things go if you didn't try?'
She was right wasn't she, what if this could be something incredible? What if he was the one? A 4 year age gap was hardly anything. 'I would, a million girls would want this chance'
Ada looks at her and smiles, she knows by that sentence exactly who she's on about 'I think he would be more lucky to have a chance with you, after everything Adam put you through, you deserve to be happy' Soph bringing Ada in for a hug, she so glad she has her! Then just like that mae was awake and her cry's were summoning sophs breasts. 'Told you we wouldn't have long!'

Post feed she laid mae down on her play mat and picked up her phone

FaceTime JG

It rang out. 'Fuck I've took to long to reply' she whispers to herself and the feeling of disappointment washes over her.
_____________________________

'Well done boys' Jack shouts as the lads all huddle with celebration in the changing rooms. City had won 2-0 and although Jack didn't get to play he was so proud of the team, they played incredibly.

He picks up his phone

1 missed FaceTime Soph 💇🏻‍♀️

His heart began to thump so hard he could feel it in his head. Why had she called? Was it a good thing? Does he call her back? Why did she only ring once? Why hasn't she text for me to call her back? He sat on the bench breathing slowly trying to regulate his heart beat. 'You alright jacky boy?' Stones looking at him quizzically.
'She tried to face time me' he spins his phone round to show him the missed call.
'Fucking ring her back then .. what are you waiting for?' He points jacks in the direction of the recovery room which was empty and Jack locks the door behind him.