Hero

Jack stands in the queue in the pharmacy, he has his grey tracksuit on and hat pulled low.
'How can I help today sir?' The pharmacist says calling him forward.
'Hi, I erm .. I need a bottle of calpol' he mumbles in reply. He didn't know why he was so nervous buying calpol, he's had to ask for much worse in the past.
The pharmacist looks at him 'whats the age of the child your needing it for?'
He thinks for a moment, mentally flick through sophs conversations '6 months shes 6 months' he replies quickly as it dawns on him.
'Okay sir, she can have 2.5mls no more than 4 times a day' he points to the diagram on the side of the box'
Jack nods and taps his contactless before thanking the pharmacist.
He discards of the box so no one paps him with the noticeable florescent purple exterior and slides the paper work and pipet in his pocket. He grabs a few things for Soph from the Tesco express next door and heads to his taxi.
__________________________________

As soon as jack enters Sophs house, he holds her. He holds her so tight he was sure her feet weren't touching the floor anymore. He sets a bag next to the stairs and hands Soph the medicine and reaches in his pocket for the pipet and paper work, she looks at him brows pushed together 'whys it out the box jack?' Shes smiling completely confused.
'Paps innit' he replies as if it was the most rational conclusion he could come to.
Soph starts laughing 'why didn't you just get a bag jack?' She reaches for his hand.
His face now expressionless with realisation 'ohh yeah'
She lifts his hand up and kisses it 'please do not change' she giggles lips pressed against his knuckles.
___________________________________

They're both sat watching mae sleeping, soph giving jack a play by play of everything that happened from finding the rash to being discharged from hospital. He's sat up with her pulled into the nook of his arm her head resting slightly on his chest. He didn't want to move her, but he had a surprise planned, he knew she needed it.
'I'm gonna be annoying and disturb you Soph. I need the toilet I can't hold it anymore' he screws his face up like he busting to go.
She sits her self up and smiles at him 'if nature calls'
Jack gets up and stealthily creeps upstairs with the bag he'd left on the bottom step. He empty's the contents of his bag on the bathroom floor and starts running sophs bath. He opens the packaging and starts to sprinkle bath salts and pours bubble bath before setting up candles around the room. He then opens a large bar of galaxy chocolate and places it on the table at the side of the bath. Happy with his set up he turns the taps off and heads back down to Soph. She's now on her knees, head resting on the side of the next to be crib not wanting to take her eyes off mae. Jack kneels down beside her and takes her hand 'Soph, I've got a surprise for you, will you come with me a second?'
She turns her head round wondering what's taken him so long 'if you've blocked the toilet jack the plumbers number on the fridge' she scrunches her nose at him.
'Norr I haven't' he pulls her up from the floor 'just come with me, she'll be okay I'll come straight back down' he leads her to the stairs the whole time sophs head is facing back towards mae.
When they reach the bathroom he covers her eyes, she giggles at remembering him blindfolding her for their date. Jack grins to himself as he opens the bathroom door and shuffles Soph in still covering her eyes.
'Ya ready?' He asks as her hands reach up to his wrists in anticipation and lowers them down. Still stood behind her he instantly wraps his arms tight around her shoulders and whispers in her ear 'unwind for abit, you need it. I'll look after mae, she'll be fine, she's sleeping. Get your iPad and enjoy it'
She turns around tears streaming down her face, this is all she'd ever wanted. A partner that wanted to work as team, that understood when she needed a break, and a partner that was god damn thoughtful. He didn't have to do this but it showed how much he cared for her, she didn't think she could love him anymore than she did right now. 'Jack has anyone ever told you, you're a hero' she reaches up and kisses him. He holds her tight one more time before heading back downstairs to mae.
____________________________________

He sits himself back on the sofa with his share bag of wotsits and turns the tv on muting it so it doesn't wake mae. He flicks through to the sports channels and finds repeat of yesterday's forest game. He looks over at mae who's still sleeping peacefully and then back to the match and smiles to himself.
40 minutes later mae starts to stir and he goes over to the cot making shushing noises stroking her back. She slowly opens her eyes and her lip starts to wobble, he instantly picks her up in worry that she might start crying but she's having none of it. Her big blue eyes look up at him and start to fill with tears 'nah we're having non of that mae, it can't be my luck you're the only girl in the uk not to like me' he's laughs while rocking her side to side. He reaches down to grab some more wotsits and shoves them in to his mouth, mae let's out a mini tantrum scream before reaching for his mouth. 'Oh you like wotsits do ya?' He reaches down for another and holds it to her lips and she sucks away at it until he pops the last of it in her mouth. 'Well you definitely like em, what about football mae?' He points to the telly as he sits back down on the sofa holding her. 'They ain't as good as my team yknow but you mam only as certain channels so this will have to do to' he settles her into the nook her mam was resting in hours earlier before giving her another wotsit. 'Your moms probably gonna tell me off for giving you these' he smiles at her, watching her fixated on the orange crisp.
Soph was stood at door way watching them without jacks knowledge completely thrown by how much of a natural he was with her and also completely shocked by how mae took to him too. As she rests her head on the door frame she was no longer worried about Instagram models and fan girls, she knew in this moment that mae was going to be her biggest competition!