The name of the game

As they sat writing out names on tiny pieces of paper, jack got a notification on his phone. He checked it then sighed heavily.

'What is it?' Soph asked while folding her paper into tiny squares before popping it into jack brightly coloured bucket hat.

His tongue peeping out in concentration of his own folding he looked up at Soph 'Just one of the houses I'd saved has been marked as sold' he said it as if it was nothing. To Soph moving was a big deal, she had so many memories in this house. Even though they might not all be good, it was her home.

Ada walks passed the living room and pops her head in 'maes sound asleep' she smiles watching them place pieces of paper into the the obscene coloured hat. 'What yas doing?!' She point towards the coffee table.

Jacks looks at Soph and grins 'we're writing down baby names we like and putting them in jacks lovely hat over here'

Ada settles her self on the arm of the sofa near Soph. 'I hope your choices aren't as rascal as that hat jack' she teases him while nudging sophs arm making her giggle. He screw his face up at her in reply like a child. Soph jolts again at the feeling of the baby moving inside her making Ada jump with her 'oh my god are you okay Soph?' She says laughing half startled.

She nods 'I started feeling the baby kick today' jacks face lit up

'And me too! It wa amazing yknow' he butts in like an excited puppy. Ada watches them exchanging looks both buzzing about the pregnancy milestone. 'Is he doing it again?' He drops his pen and paper and shuffles over to Soph placing his hand on her tummy again.

'He never gonna have his hands off you' Ada laughs admiring the love he has for his unborn child

Jack smirks at Soph 'nothing new then is there bab' and shots her a wink.

Ada fake borks 'so when your drawing these names?' She nods over to the hat.

'I mean I'm ready if you are?' Soph asks as jack takes his hand away from her belly pushing his bottom lip out because he didn't feel anything.

He nods 'yep think I've got them all' he picks the hat up and hands it to Ada 'you can shuffle them Ada so it's fair, ya get me?' He grins at her, a smile she can barely say no to.

'I get ya' she laughs as she gives them a little mix with her hand before tossing them like a stir fry. 'Who's first?'

'Ladies first' jack gestures to Soph.

She takes a tiny piece of paper and holds it in her hand 'I dunno if I can open it' she looks up at jack

'Go on, you can do it' he encourages

She unravels it and looks up at jack 'ya joking aren't ya?'

He's laughing 'wot?' He reply's acting innocent

'Come on Soph tell us!'

'Kevin... baby Kevin' She says with a straight face absolutely fuming. Jack and Ada in fits of giggles. 'Your taking the piss aren't you?' She trying no to laugh herself now

'Nah like after my dad innit' but he's still laughing at her saying baby Kevin.

'Let's hope you pick something better then jack' Ada says holding out the hat, his hand searching the paper til he pulls out a piece.

'Nah ya not gonna like this either' he's smiling at Soph, but that naughty school boy smile that could get away with murder.

'Hit me with it then' she places her hand over her forehead waiting for another jack suggestion, if it was hers he wouldn't have said she'd hate it.

He turns the tiny piece of paper round 'Lionel' he's still grinning at Soph happy with his suggestion.

'As in messi?' She rolls her eyes at him and he nods at her excitedly 'absolutely not jack, no' she shakes her head

'Ah cmon, they were alright them Lionel Kevin grealish' he screws his face up 'yeah actually now I've said it out loud it's not that great is it' They're all laughing at the full name 'why don't you pick one Ada? Yknow as a tie breaker' Soph nods in agreement

'Are you sure?' She looks down at the hat

'Yeah it can't get any worse, can it?' She looks at jack who shrugs his shoulders at her. Adas hand dives into the hat, both jacks and Soph watching her with anticipation.

'Bennett' she looks up from the paper watching them both ponder the name.

'Bennett Kevin grealish' Jack says out loud nodding his head in approval

Soph puts her hand on jacks 'it means blessed' she half smiles as his eyes meet hers

'I think it's perfect Soph' he leans it to kiss her

'Better than Lionel?' She teases poking his ribs

Ada stands up 'I think it's very fitting!' She smiles at them both. 'I'm gonna head up to bed but thank you, yknow for letting me help' Soph now stands up to hug her

'Don't be silly, your family Ada!' Jack now standing up joining in the cuddle as if it was a post goal celebration

'Yeah like a sister ain't ya' he makes a silly face at her like an annoying younger brother would making Ada laugh because they were so right, they were family in there own way.

After Ada said her goodnights and headed upstairs to bed Jack and Soph cuddled up on the sofa watching the 10 o'clock news.

'Jack? Ya know earlier before Ada came in.. you mentioned you were looking at houses?' She manoeuvred herself so she was now sat cross legged facing him. He looked at her trying to work out her facial expression but all's he could get was serious.

'I mean I'd been looking for a while, like before I met you. I knew I didn't really want to stay in that apartment forever.' He shrugged as he took her hands stroking his thumbs over the backs as their fingers interlocked 'after every thing that happened I adjusted my seach a little bit, more bedroom, spacious garden, good security boundaries.'

Her facial expression didn't change but she understood where he was coming from. 'Why didn't you tell me? Or discuss moving? Were you just going to buy a house and not tell me then expect me to move?' She fired questions at him a million miles an hour he couldn't take them all in.

'Soph just hear me out yeah. I want to keep you safe, I just think a gated house would be better for all of us. The passed week, I've been up and down them stairs and every time I look out that window at all the paps out there' he swollow hard knowing he needs to word this right 'I don't want any of them hurting you, mae or Ada. They could easily come on the property, knock on the door or try and get into the house. And I mean not even paps but there's some absolute psychos out there that wouldn't think twice about breaking in' he watches her face, she deep in thought.

She knew he was right of course he was, he was right about needing security and look how things turned out when she didn't listen. He's lived this public life a lot longer than she has. 'So what houses have you found then?' She asks as she squeezes his hand.

His face lights up as he grabs his phone, 'wait till you see these!!'