The Calm before the Storm

Arrow sat in the rec room, it was a quiet night as he flicked through the channels of what he was able to receive all the way out in Southwest Asia. He groaned listening to the boring statements that were made over and over about changing politics back in the States. "A politician did this, a politician said that, same shit different person." He muttered while laying back and stretched out on the sofa. The base was silent and the team was preoccupied with their own thoughts and actions, it was usually like that after an operation. This operation occurred deep within Russian territory, high up in the mountains in the cold. Captain MacTavish, Roach, and Ivy went while Arrow went with the SEAL team to provide cover at the exfiltration point. He felt a little estranged from everyone else, the only person who was generally nice to him was Roach; everyone seemed to give him the cold shoulder or didn't trust him. He should've been one of the operators on the mission instead of support but it is what he gets for being pulled in by Shepherd.

"It's nothing, mind is just playing tricks on you." He shook his head and closed his eyes for a few minutes.

"Hey." He was shaken awake, he blinked. Katana stood in front of him wearing her form of PT shorts and a green tank top. "May I sit here?"

"Yeah." Arrow pulled his legs up as he swung up making room for Katana. She soon sat down, eyes glued back to the screen.

"Anything interesting?" She swayed her gaze over to Arrow tilting her head a slight bit.

He shook his head, "Nothing but politics. Pointless stuff."

She smirked, "Someone else finally agrees with me there."

Arrow was to open his mouth until "We interrupt this segment to bring forth an important allegation coming forth from Russia." His eyes opened sharply, the fatigue blinked away. The reporter on the screen looked back at the camera after reading his documents in front of him.

"Yes... Russia accuses the United States of America of aiding terrorists, we go more to Bill who is live at the UN after the information was brought up in one of the sessions."

"When don't they accuse of anything el-"

"The accusation came sharply after the massacre at the Zakhaev International Airport that has claimed the lives of 243 people. Eyewitness claims lead to the well infamous figure Makarov to be the cause of this attack, however there is more to this attack than what we have at the time. So far the Russian government has found and traced three of the bodies of the known attackers, two happen to be well known Russian ultranationalists while another is what sparks national outrage." Arrow sat up, his eyes glued to the screen. "The third body is traced back to an American. Audio and video evidence shown to officials indicates that NATO weapons and American tactics were used in the attack. The attackers also spoke nothing but English. This revelation has caused traumatic ripples throughout the already crumbling relations between the US and Russia. What more could happen will be followed later tonight at 6."

Arrow blinked. He turned to Katana who covered her mouth as images of the attack briefly popped on screen. He looked back to the screen. Makarov will perish.

"The Russians ain't gonna let this massacre go unanswered. It's going to get bloody." Ghost turned his head to MacTavish while the entire team was gathered for their next mission.

"Too right, mate. Now in the eyes of the world, they're the victims. No one's going to say a word when the Russians club every American they can reach." MacTavish crossed his arms, looking to Shepherd who had his hands on the table leaning over slightly.

"Makarov was one step ahead. Now he's left hundreds of bodies at the feet of an American."

Roach pushed himself off of a nearby wall, "We're the only ones who knew that it was Makarov's op. Our credibility died with Allen. We need proof."

Shepherd pointed to Brazil on the map he was looking at, "Follow the shell. Alejandro Rojas."

MacTavish raised an eyebrow, "Never heard of his sir."

Shepherd looked up to the team. "You knew him as Alex the Red. He supplied the assault."

Katana spoke quietly, "One bullet to unleash the fury of a whole nation."

She turned to Ivy who began, "Which mean-"

Shepherd finished her statement. "He's our ticket to Makarov. Let's get to work."