Reassignment

Arrow sat on his cot as the rest of his squad sat around him. Everyone was enjoying the quiet from the missions and no one said a word. His squad could all be executed if anyone found out about their actions. The squad ignored it as they continued to play their card game, which happened to be Uno.

"Uno." One called as the opening of the door caught everyone's attention, Royerick entered the room.

"Arrow, Shepherd wants to speak to you man."

"Only me?" He pulled a thumb to himself.

Royerick shrugged, "Kit up and quit wasting time I suppose." He turned out of the room and walked off. Everyone looked up at Arrow concerned, had they found out about the mission?

"It's fine boys. Check up on the two wounded while I'm away." He slid on his plate carrier, grabbing his helmet too. He slid on the worn but reliable helmet and snapped the buckle. He reached down, picking up his weapon. "He doesn't know." He grinned at the others, inspiring a confidence within the men.

He stepped out of the room, closing the door behind him. His eyes adjusted to the cave system everyone lived in. He turned to the left, moving through the common area as the entrance wasn't too far from his squad's living quarters. He continued up a few steps, entering the darkened area dubbed as the Steam Room. A few other soldiers were patrolling the area as Arrow nodded his head to them, passing through without a word said. He exited the Steam Room, immediately coming upon the catwalk. The four overwatching soldiers waved to him.

"Damn, look at that! One is finally showing himself!" One of the soldiers jokingly called out.

Arrow responded with the bird and continued moving past the overwatchers, running up the staircase. Finally he came to another cave opening which was defended by two guards. The pair nodded at Arrow, with Arrow doing the same as he proceeded into the cave. He eyed the final set of doors which led to a door with a sign above that read Command Center and swallowed, keeping a straight face. He stepped up to the door and knocked three times, loudly on the door.

The door was opened by one of the headquarters personnel as General Shepherd stood near the large table deep in conversation with Oxide. Arrow stepped into the room, assuming the reporting position. He saluted as General Shepherd saw him finally, "Ah, Arrow. Thank you for reporting on such a short notice."

He dropped his salute, "No problem at the last minute sir."

"Well to business, with everything that has happened you are being pulled into my personal squad. I expect you to report to me from now on."

"Yes sir." Arrow mentally kicked himself as he was reassigned. "Anything else sir?"

"Nothing else at this time Sergeant." Arrow nodded and left the room as Oxide turned to General Shepherd.

"Is he reliable sir?"

"He is a damn American patriot. He'll come through." He crossed his arms, watching the soldier leave.

Arrow shook his head and moved back to his old room where only two sat.

"What happened?"

"Angel and Snow have recovered and the guys are still tending to her." One of the soldiers replied, he leaned back on his rack as Arrow started to take off his gear. "What happened to you?"

"Moved onto the General's protection team. Something I am completely looking forward to." He rolled his eyes, "That was sarcasm. Don't take me seriously."

"Jesus. Well, one way to earn a promotion I suppose. What about the rest of us?" The soldier tilted his head.

"I heard nothing from Shepherd so I assume normal operations for you all." Arrow unbuckled his helmet, setting the gear on his cot.

"Fuckin brilliant." The second soldier rolled onto his cot and exhaled.

"Cheer up, we get to learn more shit if he talks to Arrow." The first one grinned while the second soldier just shook his head.

"Yeah yeah, it's a bunch of bullshit. Fuck it, I suppose we'll see how things go." The man sighed, getting comfortable in his cot.

Arrow just shook his head, unclipping his plate carrier, setting the armor next to his helmet. He sat down on the cot and swung his legs onto the cot, enjoying the nap as well.

The door swung open as the rest of the squad moved into the room and started to gather their equipment up. Arrow swung over, looking at the squad, "What's going on?"

"New orders, your squad is moving out." One of the soldiers sounded off.

"To where?" Arrow rose to his feet.

His second pulled him in for a whisper, "Angel and Snow have recovered enough to be moved to the US. I don't know the exact location of the safehouse, boss."

"Who are you all going with?"

"Half of Disciple One, which happens to be all your squad. The rest are remaining here."

Arrow nodded, stepping to the side as he watched his men step out of the room a final time. "Call me when you all get settled in." His soldiers waved to him as the helicopter soon spun up as Arrow turned around moving back into the compound. Angel and Snow would be safe, that's what mattered to him.

He settled back down into his cot as Royerick stopped by, "Hey man." Arrow just looked up at him and nodded. "Why the sad face?"

"Getting used to the boys being gone." Arrow shrugged.

"I know that feeling man, but hey. You're rising up the ranks, hell soon enough you might have your own unit." Royerick grinned.

"My own unit, I dunno." He sighed, pausing for a moment. "I just want to go home after we burn Moscow down and... restart life man." He almost slipped, but caught himself at the last second.

"Shit man, forgot about that. Were you serious?" Arrow just shook his head. "No real problem then. You'll go home, say you're a war hero and every woman in America will drop her panties for you." He continued his grin which caused immense rage internally for Arrow as he realized Royerick just saw Katana as an object and not a real being.

"Eh, I dunno man..." He bit his tongue, letting the waves roll off of him. "I'd rather settle down, I don't think one night stands are really it man."

"Take it from me Arrow, we are machines. We are cursed human beings destined to roam the Earth as killers, paid to do what we do best. We won't settle down unless the Company is picked up and beheaded." Royerick sat up, checked his watch. "Hey man, gotta run. I'll be back later."