Awake

Are You Bored Yet? (ft. Clairo) by Wallows

Y/N POV.

A faint feeling of a soft something touching my nose alerts me to my senses as I come to. I can tell it's day, but why have I fallen asleep? My eyes open and I blink a few times, adjusting to the bright light and I am greeted with Lady Yae. She is in charge of the Narukami Shrine, the biggest and most sacred shrine in all of Inazuma. She looks at me with some sort of amusement lingering in her eyes, brushing off what I now realised was a sakura petal from my nose. The shrine maids have gathered around me and I notice that I am lying down in front of the Sacred Sakura, my shrine maid uniform still on me.

"Lady Yae???" I exclaim, sitting right up in surprise as I am surrounded by my familiar colleagues who have been working at the shrine together with me for many years.

"What happened? Why am I in front of the Sacred Sakura???" Many questions begin to spark and my eyes turn into question marks.

"That's exactly what I wanted to ask you. I'm not quite sure myself, but... We were all asleep when it happened.. The Sacred Sakura had suddenly glowed so bright it alerted the entirety of Inazuma and you were found laying in front of it," Lady Yae explains.

"WHAT??? Lady Yae, you must believe me!! I had nothing to do with this! I am just as clueless about this as everyone else is equally," I plea.

And, it was true.

Well... To a certain extent, that is.

I had a horrible nightmare about Inazuma being destroyed by the Raiden Shogun, and I was escaping with Ayaka from the Kamisato Clan together with Thoma before they were crushed by their house as lightning struck. And... There was someone else. I couldn't see his face and his voice was muffled. However, he must have meant a lot to me because I remembered being in his embrace as I died before waking up at the shrine.

It all felt so real... Too real.

Although I'm sure it's nothing much, I just can't help thinking about it.

"But now that you're awake and well, it's time to get to work. Chop chop, everyone!! The shrine doesn't take care of itself now, does it?" Lady Yae claps her hands together and I shake the thoughts away. She glances at me for a bit longer before walking away.

"Y/N!! Some cleaning there needs to be done!" Toda directs me toward an area and I get to work together with Maki.

"Did you hear? Today is the last day of the Summer Festival... It's just too bad that us shrine maidens can't go because we have our duties here," Maki sighs.

"The Summer Festival??" I furrow my eyebrows together. Since when did the Summer Festival start?? I can't even remember anything that has happened the last few days...

"Yeah?? You should go, Y/N," Maki suggests, a small smile appearing on her expressionless face.

"Well... I could go," I look away and my eyes fall onto an onikabuto that I think Itto would like very much. Not many know, but Lady Yae is quite fond of that oni and his silly ideas which I think is quite spectacular. Ever since he told us about Kujou Sara snatching away his vision, the shrine maidens came to dislike the Tenryou Commission more than we used to. I take the onikabuto and wrap it in some leaves before pushing it into my pocket.

"I'll tell the others to cover up for you so Lady Yae wouldn't find out," Maki shrugs her shoulders.

"Ugh, I love you. All these shrine duties have been killing me!! I should be given a day's rest at the least," I complain while sweeping the wooden floor.

Afterall, I'm the second most popular Narukami Shrine maiden after Lady Yae. I have a lot of requests to help Inazumans do some cleansing rituals in their houses and I do the sacred dance whenever someone who can afford it, requests for it. Collecting sakura blooms every other day because I'm the only shrine maiden with a vision and an electro vision at that, is a very tedious task. Unlike the traveller, I cannot just appear out of nowhere so, I have to travel by feet...

But, at least I have many friends I trust. Like my fellow shrine maidens, Thoma, Itto, Sayu, Yoimiya, Kazuha and Ayaka. Oftentimes, they would request for me just so they can spend some time with me and it really makes me feel special. With all this popularity, people treat my parents nicer than you would normally do especially when my father is from Liyue... My parents run a small business selling fruits and vegetables so business is usually going quite smoothly. The reason why I work at the shrine is because it has been a tradition in my family that every woman works under the shrine until they reach the age of 25, unless they get married before that age. When I turn 25 next year, I'll stop working in the shrine and help out with my family's store in town.

Although I am on quite good terms with Ayaka, never have I seen her older brother, the head of the noble Kamisato Clan. Rumours say he is quite the charmer, but from what I heard from Thoma, he is quite the sadist himself... Other than that, people on the streets whisper about how he's a handsome young man and the girls group together to talk about this mysterious man. It does quite intrigue me but my shrine maiden duties are far more important than gossiping about my friend's brother.

"Lady Ayaka!"

"The Lady of the Kamisato Clan is here!!"

"Ayaka??" I ask, making my way to the front of the temple with my broom. And there she stood, elegantly in the light. Lady of the Kamisato Clan she is indeed, she never fails to impress me with how beautiful she is.

"Ayaka! What brings you to the shrine?" I go up to her as the other maids continue their work.

"I come here not as a friend, but as a Lady. I would to formally request for you to dance the shrine dance at the Summer Festival," Ayaka smiles.

"...What?"