Beyond Revelations

Y/N POV.

"Understood," I bow my head in routine. The enoki wood that surrounds me breathes in the smell of fresh grass as the rain falls onto the stony ground at the Grand Narukami Shrine. I had been placed back here again as the media died down on the articles, finally allowing me to take my place back at the shrine to do my duties. After all, without me, it was only Lady Yae who was able to collect Sakura Blooms all on her own. This tedious and sweltering job was not fit for someone of her standing, and anyone who knew about this would shake their heads in disapproval of her chasing upon the pink petals pathetically.

The wind outside billowed against the planks that built themselves on the shrine, the gloomy sky frowning slightly in shades of greys. The rest of the shrine maidens had retreated in when the rain began and instead of shrine duties, had begun to prepare a feastful dinner. Lady Yae informs me of the recent news of crowds showing up to display their vulgar desperation of courting me but warns me not to be too ruthless in my acts of rejection as men as they are, become violent when benevolent women turn their backs on them; messing with the wrong ones might hinder my safety even if I have a vision.

"It has come to my understanding that the Yashiro Commissioner has set his eyes on you. He's practically announced to the world that you're his wife now," She smirks knowingly. All those years of experience have amounted to so much but nothing at all. Just what is she thinking?

"You misunderstand, Lady Yae!" I blush in rejection, the thought of marriage so cruelly tempting.

"Oh, am I? Last we spoke, his eyes said everything I needed to know. You know... It's not impossible for a shrine maiden to marry into the aristocracy, I'm sure you're aware. It just depends on... Whether your shoulders can carry that burden," Her foxy eyes glint with cunningness.

Yet again, she has caught me off-guard with her knowledge of everything.

"Do you want him?" Lady Yae bluntly speaks, her voice curt but elegant.

"...Yes," I reply. Our conversation feels like a one-sided confession of sin, and between us, a wall where a priest listens to my sins of love and my crimes of temptation. And in this desolated room, the words exchanged between us are silent beyond the thin walls. The girls outside will pretend they do not hear us, they will act as if they are unaware of my infatuation for the noble Lord despite having pushed me to battle the frontlines of high society weeks ago, because under this roof, whatever is said in a room, remains in the room even if it can be heard outside. Understand that this is not just any roof, the power in the sacredness of the shrine will not betray us if we are honest in our virtues, but things that are meant to be secrets; shall remain as they should under our Lady's rule.

"Then make him yours," An eyebrow lifts ever so slightly, proof that her authority remains unquestioned and her words must be taken.

"I will," I smile, returning her kindness with gratefulness.

I leave the room, glancing at the girls who are busying themselves with dinner preparations in the kitchen chamber. Maki's eyes make contact with me but all she does is smile knowingly without a word. The trust between us is a symbol of the womanhood amongst the shrine maidens, a history full of our ancestors who gather in their red and white robes, heads bowed towards Lady Yae and the Sacred Sakura Tree.

"Men come every day to ask for your hand in courting," One of them waltzes to me.

"They speak of a woman whose beauty surpasses even the goddesses in Liyue..."

"For two weeks straight, your face was plastered across the headlines of the papers. My goodness, if the Head of the Kamisato Clan does not take your hand in marriage, I'm afraid he might need to get himself checked by a doctor," They laugh scandalously.