The Festival

Midare (Japanese traditional music)

Train gazing by Sam Wills, Honey Moochie

Y/N POV.

The sun soon fell to the other end of the sky and, the crescent moon befell onto the lands of Teyvat. The blues above turned to shades of flames, lighting the sky with fiery colours, reminding me of Yoimiya's fireworks. Inazumans from Watatsumi and Yashiori Islands have made their way to Narukami, where the festival would take place. Lanterns hung above from roof to roof, stalls starting to open for the festival as people start queueing up.

"Y/N, any time now," A festival staff calls for me and I take a deep breath.

Just as Ayaka said, everything had been prepared and all went smoothly. The stage set up was just perfect for the dance and everyone attending the festival were all gathered at the front of the stage in curiosity and anticipation. I'm assuming that Ayaka had not made a notice for the performance since everyone were huddled in whispers.

It's just like I've always done.

I can do this.

I take a deep breath before going onto the stage, the shrine gown dragging on the stage floor, the lights accentuating my makeup, the back of my hair tie up traditionally for the ritual. With my kagura suzu in hand, I take position in the centre of stage.

"It's a shrine maiden!!"

"To think I would be able to watch a shrine maiden dance for free at the festival!"

"She isn't just any shrine maiden..."

"It's Y/N...!"

And, I begin the dance.

My footsteps lead the way, my hands gracefully moving with the kagura. My electro vision hanging on the back of my gown as I do the steps I've been doing my entire life.

Chiing. Chiing... The kagura rings.

An expression of calmness replaces my nervous face, the crowd watching in admiration. The elegant movements of a shrine maiden performing a cleansing ritual, a blessing to anyone who watches it, a beautiful scene. I scan the audience for Ayaka but to my dismay, I can't find her at all. A few familiar figures wave at me and, I give a nod along with a smile to the oni and his gang who were waving wildly with whistles and laughs.

"THAT'S MY BUDDY RIGHT THERE," Itto cheers and people frown at his loudness as Shinobu elbows him to keep his mouth shut.

"Wowww!! Paimon thinks Y/N dances really well, don't you think so, Traveller?" A high-pitched squeak comes from the audience and my eyes land on the traveller. They gave Paimon a nod before smiling at me.

I continue my dance, a routine that is engraved in my very own body and soul. The far sun settles down as the moon makes its appearance in the night sky, blessing us with its moonlight. With my vision, I embed my power into the kagura, pointing it towards the skies before specks of glittery light fall upon everyone.

A maiden's blessing, is an honor to the one who shall receive.

I catch a glimpse of a nobleman in white robes from the corner of my eye, but as I turn to see with my elegant steps, he disappears right there. Amusing, but I have a performance to pay attention to. My movements captivate everyone as the ritual comes to an end, the crowd cheering with applause for they have witnessed and received a blessing that would last for an eternity.

I leave the stage and thank the staff who prepared everything. The crowd starts to disperse to explore what the festival has in store for them. Exhausted from the half an hour performance, I realise how tired I actually am and make my way towards Chinju Forest, simply too worn out to spend the rest of my night at the festival.

I trudge along into the dark forest, the plants lighting up the place, setting off a blue hue. And there I saw, the nobleman from before... He was standing a small distance away from a pond, admiring the stars and I am completely blown away by how utterly handsome this man before me is. But before I can even walk any further without disturbing him, I step onto a branch and freeze in place.

"Is someone there?" He turns behind and his voice sounds too charming already for a man with such a great face. I make eye contact with him and he stiffens in place, hands gripping onto his robes.

"Sir... Are you okay??" I walk towards the mysterious man and notice a hydro vision at the side of his luxurious clothing.

"I'm terribly sorry that I intruded your time with admiring the stars, but I shall make my way back to the shrine," I bow, realising that associating myself with a man much less a noble, whom I just met would be extremely dangerous.

"WAIT- I mean, ahem... Please hold on for a moment," His low voice reaches my ears. I turn back and, for a moment, stare into those eyes that were the same shade as the plants at our side, my reflection in his eyes.

"How can I help you, sir...?" I can't look away from those eyes, it feels like I've seen them before but surely, had I seen such a beautiful man I would have never forgotten about him.

"You were the shrine maiden performing from before?" He queries.

"Ah! Yes," I give him a smile and he stiffens again, before softening his gaze.

" You danced very beautifully, I couldn't take my eyes off of you," He bows subtly, taking my hand and placing his lips upon it for what we both know, a few seconds too long.

"Hmm... My memory recalls seeing you walk away after I saw you from a far distance in the crowd," I look away.

I might be a shrine maiden, but Lady Yae has taught me her ways...

"Flirting now, are we?" He leans in front with a smirk and I notice again, a beauty mark right below a side of his lips.

"I don't even know your name, sir... Or should I say, My Lord, from the way you dress?" My eyes meet his again and tensions rise.