Familiarity

The Night We Might by Lord Huron

Ayato's POV.

"Please, follow me," The Head Librarian beckons me, leading the way as I shuffle my way through the library.

The evening has settled itself gently on Inazuma, the golden hour glimmering on the sea, giving life and warmth to the buildings. After my conversation with Thoma, I came to the library to find more books about the Abyss. Maybe I was indeed a mad man, but I can't get any less insane than this.

I did defy Celestia, after all.

"Oh... Apologies, Commissioner. However, it seems that young lady there has taken the book," The Head Librarian mutters before making her way to help someone else.

My eyes land on a certain "young lady" whom I know all too well. The smile on my face doesn't leave as I sit myself on the same sofa she's dozing off on, Y/N basking in the sun with the pages of the book gently flipping itself silently. I swell with pride, thinking about how this woman had been my wife in our past lives. How did I manage to find someone like her who would love me so willingly?

She's beautiful.

My hands unconsciously reach out to her face, brushing the few loose strands of her hair back behind her ear as I whisper her name softly to myself, like a prayer waiting to be answered. Her eyelashes curl naturally, skin glowing against the rays as my fingers brush past her cheeks. Moments of how I used to wake up with her right next to me flashes across my mind, my fingers curling against her elegant ones as I watch her breathe. Leaning against the windowpane like her, my breath settles down to the same pace as hers, a habit I developed in the past whenever we were together. Her adorable habit of walking the same way as I started to grow, and I didn't even notice it. My eyes slowly travel down to the book she's reading, and out of interest, I pick it up.

What could she be doing in this section?

She was never one for non-fiction, always bragging about how boring it is and how I should explore fiction. My velvet books of politics and law switched to romance and mystery when she moved into the estate, the dark oak shelves slowly filled themselves with her choices instead of mine. Archons, my heart can only throb at the memories she will never remember. Like the time I picked up her book during a business meeting by accident, and I can still recall the title 'Pride and Prejudice'; a classic Y/N always went back to despite having a heap of novels she had yet to read.

"What?" My brows furrow in confusion.

I turn the pages flippantly, scanning the flowery words of unintelligible writing in disbelief before grabbing the other book lying beside her on the dusty floor. I can hear myself almost scoffing at my cluelessness, looking at Y/N who's in slumber, and returning back to the academic papers. The words of the kind librarian who informed me that Y/N took the book I was looking for had completely slipped my mind. Paragraphs of inside information on the Abyss and Celestia, reincarnation and past me-

Past memories?

It was as if the entire world and its parallel universes had stopped dead in its tracks. Everything I had done up till now ever since I turned back time felt like it had been useless. How much does she know? Who told her? Did she realise it on her own? Does she know everything? I have so many questions, yet the flurry of thoughts can only calm themselves down. Logically, she wouldnt know everything if she was reading any of these. What Childe had told me in the Chasm mustve happened to her when she was away from us, so she must have found out about a portion of what I know.

Do it tomorrow Y/N whispers in her sleep.

What? My eyes widen as I look at her, slowly starting to come to terms with all the hints that are in front of me.

Tomorrow, She whispers again.

Do it tomorrow. Y/N would always tell me that whenever I had heaps of paperwork on my desk, the ink almost drowning me as I huddled in my office, a huge migraine taking over my body. I would rest my quill and rub my temples before going back to work, my eyes almost blurring out all the words on the parchment as the candlelight flickers against my exhausted breath. And when fatigue finally gets the best of me, my body would give up and I would lay my head on the table to rest for awhile before awhile became an hour, and Y/N would wake up from our bed, entering the office as she combed my blue hair away from my eyebags. Shed hum in disapproval of my work ethic, waking me up and telling me to do my work tomorrow at the crack of dawn, her warm hands taking mine as I rub my eyes, entrusting her to lead me back to our chambers.

Shes been getting back her memories in her sleep this whole time

Im sure you remember what youve seen in your sleep, but why dont you recognise me at all? I bring my hand up to her cheeks as I brush my fingers across her skin, heart throbbing at my heavy words, placing a kiss on her forehead.

Please try harder. Please, I beg of you, I kiss her knuckles one by one, sighing into her warmth as I think of her small hands in mine.

It feels as though I can do nothing but wait for the disaster to strike again.