The Abyss

Come To Me by Lee JongSuk

Y/N POV.

We both settle in Lady Yae's office.

The sound of shrine maidens retreating to their rooms to take cover from the heavy rain outside makes the atmosphere a bit less tense for me, calming my nerves. A few of Inazuma's most intimidating people are in the same room as me and although I would like to think that I have a fairly good relationship with them both, it still makes me nervous. Thoughts of a few night ago run through my head and I regret ever speaking towards the incredibly charming man whom I now know is the Head of the Kamisato Clan. The aroma of sakura blossom mint tea stills my thoughts, warming the cold air around me.

"Why are you so nervous? Relax, I won't bite," Lord Kamisato smiles teasingly, sipping on his cup of tea. I laugh awkwardly and turn my eyes to Lady Yae who's also laughing at my nervousness.

"You look like you're sitting on eggshells. If you're uncomfortable, you can always leave. I wouldn't want one of my favourite maids to be so afraid around me," Lady Yae smiles.

"No, it's fine. It's just that... I'm not used to being around such important people," I confess.

"You better get used to it, you'll be around people as important as us soon," Lord Kamisato says. Lady Yae eyes him suspiciously, raising an eyebrow.

"You see... I suspect the Abyss Mages have something to do with the Sacred Sakura tree, and considering that Miss Y/N and you are the most powerful people at the shrine... It could suggest that the Abyss are keeping an eye on you both," Lord Kamisato explains.

"What?" My eyebrows furrow.

"Interesting... Do you have any clue on why the Abyss has taken such a sudden interest with the Sacred Sakura?" Lady Yae looks at Lord Kamisato, awaiting his reply.

"No, I'm just as clueless as you on this one. I have sent my men to keep an eye around the area and they will report to me about anything suspicious. However, I urge you, Lady Guuji, to take some measures for the sake of the safety of the visitors and other shrine maidens that do not have the power to protect themselves unless us. I'm inclined to think that more of them will show up, and until then, I cannot be sure if the shrine is the only place unsafe. For all we know, there could be other locations in Inazuma that require such protection as well," Lord Kamisato warns us.

In an official setting, Lord Kamisato seems more firm and strict with himself unlike the other day when he was rather... flirty and a tad bit unruly. He seems even more charming like this, is what I'll admit.

"I see... I'll try to be as discreet about this as much as possible. Y/N, I'll put you in-charge of protecting the shrine maidens. If something happens when I'm not around, do what you can to protect those who can't protect themselves... When you're away for collecting sakura blooms, I will takeover—"

A scream rips through the air in that instant.

All three of us stand immediately, running out to check the commotion and 5 abyss mages have appeared out of nowhere. The shrine maidens have run out and I'm assuming one of the abyss mages had driven them out. Lord Kamisato and I jump into action immediately as I go for the ones nearest to me. Amidst the pouring rain, the abyss mages continue to fight back nonstop, my thunder clashing down from the skies, electrifying sword slicing through shields. I pant as I look back at my friends, worry spreading across my face. They look like this second would be their very last.

"I'll escort them to somewhere safer," Lady Yae leads them away and I nod, praying that wherever they're going will be safer than this place.

"Watch out!" I hear Lord Kamisato's voice call out of me before I feel his hand grab me gently, pulling me to his body, shielding me from the danger that almost had me. A faint sound of the last abyss mage dying can be heard as I look up, breathing in the scent of the Hinoki tree; the smell of dry wood, parchment and a hint of citrus- like fresh linen. The ocean eyes stare into mine and all I can see is fear in the vast emptiness. His irregular pants become normal as he holds me tighter, raindrops dripping from his sky blue hair.

"Lord Kamisato... Are you okay?" I break the silence.

"Ayato," He says, and I look at him in a confused state.

"Huh?"

"Call me Ayato," The grip on my waist becomes tighter, his sword disappearing like the raindrops hitting the ground.

Despite the cold air and uncertain situation, his grasp makes me feel warmer and safer. The incessant rain continues, the cold wind billowing as I come to realise only the two of us are standing here alone in the middle of the shrine. The harmonic thundering continues with the racing clouds above, the Sacred Sakura tree rustling together with the sakura blossoms, the pink petals dancing their way down onto the wet wood. Ayato lifts his other hand, brushing a soft petal away from the top of my head, his fingers brushing against my forehead.

"Do you have clothes I can change into?" He smiles.

"Oh! Yes, uhm, yeah...," I snap back into reality immediately.

"Lead the way..."

I move away hesitantly, walking into the shrine as he follows me towards my room.

"It's not as big and luxurious compared to what such an esteemed person like you might have, but uhm... I hope you're okay with it," I smile, searching for the clothes my mother had bought for me for when 'the time comes I do it with a man'. My parents aren't traditional compared to others with their sex before marriage agenda but as much as I would love to have an active love life, shrine maidens are strictly not allowed to bring in unauthorised people into the shrine itself.

"May I ask why you have men's clothing in your room? Of course, you don't have to answer. It's just plain curiosity," Ayato queries, leaning against the doorframe as he watches me walking around my room trying to find a towel for him. I explain to him with a red face and he chuckles, murmuring something under his breath before sighing with what I believe to be... relief?

"The shower is at the back," I don't question his behaviour and grab another towel for myself, heading to Maki's room so I can use her shower.

As warm water runs itself down my body, misty fog wafts around the bathroom. Wild thoughts run through my head as I remember what just happened not too long ago. Leaning against the cold stonewall, I sigh as I close my eyes, smiling to myself.

"I'm sure he has no romantic intentions.. I should stop deluding myself. I'm just a shrine maiden," My excited smile turns into a fine line as I continue showering.

Ayato POV.

Oh. My. Archons.